Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah. With the m3 this would have been the perfect device. It just needs another 20% more power to be my daily driver.

yodamiked likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you upgrade from the free version of Office products to the subscription version you get all those features back.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks. May I ask what the original price before the coupon discount was? I'm looking to get an unlocked one for Japan for at most $450.
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I don't find that the Android version, even coupled with an Office 365 subscription, has all the features of the Windows version, particularly of One Note, but I will confess that the U/I is so obsessed with looking "clean" that many of the functions are buried. I imagine it's more powerful than I know but using many of the features requires that I learn where they are hidden in the Android version. You don't happen to know a convenient way to learn how to invoke all the apparently hidden or missing Office features on the latest Android iterations of Office programs are, do you, Ms. @Kumabjorn ?

5. Kumabjorn

On the top is a little light bulb. It's a decent AI help function and I just to that and enter the feature I can't find. Count words is a good example, on a big tablet it is there but not in a small tablet, the I need the light bulb to do my bidding.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

6. Kumabjorn

Microsoft's Japanese sales channels are starting to market Surface Go now. Availability August 28. As mentioned in an earlier post, the entry level model is 70.000 yen or $600 depending on exchange rate. However the performance model 8 GB RAM/128 GB SSD is only 20.000 yen more at 90.000 yen or $750. Still a significant price difference to the U.S. but maybe easier to accept on the high end model.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

$469...good luck

PS - posting from GN8!0

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. I knew about that but rarely remember to use it. I hate that everything in Android/Chromebook is icon-driven and I can never seem to memorize what many of them do, and you don't get much help mousing over them. I can't imagine doing it on a phone! Just to confirm, do you find the Android versions coupled with a subscription deliver all the features and functionality of the Windows versions? My wife does some pretty fancy stuff in MS Word for her teaching and I can't even give her my Pixelbook - as much as she loves it otherwise - because she couldn't accomplish several things in Word. With your assurance I will endeavor to learn it better and then show her. I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons not to use Chromebooks vs. Windows for most of my daily stuff. The Pixelbook, for all its faults, is so effortless, fast, and buttery smooth for almost everything, though there was a learning curve to substitute certain windows only apps or functions.

9. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Folks,
    I now totally agree on your statements regarding the poor inking performance of the new Surface Pen on the Go. It's a nightmare....
    I ended up picking the Wacom Bamboo Ink Smart, despite that it cannot attach to the Go magnetically.
    Nevertheless, I still got a Surface Pen through the Go Essential Bundle on sale at Microsoft Store. For #229, I got:
    - Platinum Alcantara Type Cover (~129)
    - The Pen (~99)
    - Office 365 Personal (~69, which I plan to resell on eBay for roughly $40)
    - Complete ($99).

Even if I'm only counting the type cover and the complete, it's not a bad deal already, let alone the recovery from reselling Office 365. So the pen is basically free.

BUT IT IS SO TERRIBLE COMPARED TO WACOM BAMBOO INK!

Dunno if this can be fixed further via a software/firmware update, but I am so so disappointed here.

soh5 and surfaceproartist like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks. Will check it out.
    Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk