Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

MS seems to be implying they are using a custom SoC tuned by Intel specifically for them. If Intel has to write special firmware just for the SGo, there's a good chance these chips are also specially selected.

(Which could mean at least we are getting the "the best" among the rejects :p)

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

GPU yeah sure, but for the CPU they are full of sh*t.

It's clocked slower (1.6GHz vs 2.4Ghz), it's got half the number of physical cores (2 vs 4), it benches only slightly better (low 2000's vs 1900 in Passmark, high 3000s vs low 3000s in Geekbench 4). I frankly have no idea what the hell they are talking about when they say 2X the power of Surface 3. Twice the RAM? I'll give them that. lol

EDIT: LOL I think they are talking about single core results in Geekbench 4. 4415Y does about 2000 and Z8700 does about 1000. Unfortunately 4415Y is only a dual core and Z8700 was a quad core... WITH A LOWER TDP! Ai caramba...

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Again, you are looking at benchmarks that are oriented towards system responsiveness instead of sustained system performance. GeekBench has a vastly different testing philosophy than something like Cinebench or TabletMark. After boost clocks settle in mobile CPUs to their target average TDPs, you get a totally different picture of the performance.

4. Shogmaster

I just remember the i3 Surface Pro 3 being barely better at real world tasks vs Surface 3. I owned them both briefly. 4415Y ain't gonna change that much IMO. It certainly won't feel as fast as a proper Core M3, and I doubt it would feel faster than N5000 Silver either.

5. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone preorder yet?

6. Shogmaster

If you have $500 lying around, please buy the Galaxy Book 10.6 instead FFS.

violajack and JoeS like this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Granted I've been out of the Pentium loop for awhile, but I was under the impression that the Pentium Gold was a decent jump up from Silver. I must admit overall performance issues with the Pen do concern me. Since the N-trig pen tech taxes the CPU more then EMR.....as I believe you demonstrated with the Surface 3 and Clip Studio in one of your videos a few years ago....The combo of Ntrig & Cherry Trail Atom was pretty damn poor. However the jump to Core m3 in the Surface 4 fared significantly better for the pen. So between Cherry Trail Atom and 6th gen Core m3....where exactly should this 4415y fall closer to?

Given the educational focus this device will get.....I can't imagine they would purposely cripple the device to perform poorly in any art app aside from Sketchable or Sketchbook Pro. Photoshop I can see being off the table since the performs poorly even on EMR/Core m3.......but Clip Studio I think will be what makes or breaks the Go.

As for the hype of the Go.....in certain use cases.....such as mine.....the size and form factor of the GO is a huge benefit. I'm going to be traveling around Europe for about a month in August ....and I truthfully never do much art on my trips....maybe some sketching.....I do more photo editing and retouching more then anything....and general laptop usage during the trip.....and media consumption during long days of travel.

Right now I'm still trying to decide between bringing my Galaxy Book 10.6 or the nSP/Pro5 I just got.

The GB10 has a smaller size frame, USB-C chargeable which goes great for my Note 8 phone since I can use the same charger for both, and excellent pen performance. And given the duration of my trip...and how much crap I'm bringing and will obtain during it.....the overall smaller footprint gives me more room in my bag for other stuff. And being able to use a portable USB battery pack also has come in handy quite a few times. However the origami cover and lack of kickstand is a huge negative. On my last trip it was a huge disaster.....on a bumpy 10-hour Bus or Train ride....its amazing how easily the Galaxy Book can dislodge from the keyboard cover.....and you really can't prop it up without the cover......and then after a long day of site seeing....I would use my device while lying down on a bed......and that is also a very poor usage for the Galaxy Book's cover.....it works great on a flat desk....but any bumpy or semi-unstable surface is a different story.

So instead I'm considering bring the nSP instead....which is bigger, takes up more space in my bag, and needs its dedicated surface charger, and I wouldn't be able to USB charge it.

Now this Surface Go......provided it performs decently enough in Clip Studio for light sketching and photo editing...looks pretty perfect for my trip.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

RANT ON

So called "hands on" reviewers are already knocking lap-ability and the small keyboard on this thing, as well as the inability to drive high frame rate 4k...

WTF - this is an iPad Pro competitor - not a Surface Pro competitor. The iPad Pro 10.5 absolutely sucks with its smart keyboard in the lap-ability department - I know, I have one. Try external video on the iPP10 as well - :vbconfused:

And I can't wait for the "lag" complaints - folks, the iPP10 and A11 processor have been hand tuned with the "apps" (NOT applications) that run on iOS. It does all kinds of smoke and mirrors with pre-fetching as well as hand-tooled (system level) to make things appear magically fast (in fairness, the A11 is a fast chip nonetheless for Apps as opposed to Applications). NO DEVICE generically running Windows 10 will ever get that level of performance when you can't control the silicon and the OS.

So my rant is if you aren't going to bash the iPP10 on the same grounds, keep-a-u-hands off the Surface Go...:vbmad:

RANT OFF

9. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

This release only furthers my displeasure with Samsung for not having an 8gb / 128gb NVMe version of the book 10.6. The M3 7Y30 will wipe the floor with this Pentium. Same architecture, but up to 2.6ghz boost.

As it stands, my book 10.6 is light on RAM, has slow eMMC and I miss the kickstand, but otherwise it's a fantastic travel companion. I don't even take the Book 10.6 pen with me anymore...my Note 8 brings the silo EMR fun to the party when I need it. :)

dellaster likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To be quite frank, Haswell stunk at both IPC and performance/watt before Broadwell and Core M were a thing which explains your grief with the i3 Surface Pro 3. I shudder just remembering the stutter fest the best Y series processor was on the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7139 I immediately returned compared to the worst Core M Broadwell processor on the 7140 model. So I will respectfully have to agree to disagree with you—things have changed drastically for the better since the pre-Broadwell days of the Y series.