Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

Great. I haven’t installed it yet. Did you test it? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't own a Pro.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't speak for the GB10.6, but have really not had a problem with palm rejection, but I do auto hide the taskbar because that would cause problems when my hand hit the bottom of the screen before the pen AND it helps relieve the stress of worrying about screen burn in.

I'm surprisingly excited about giving the Note 8 a try - but there is one feature to the Note 9 that I am jealous about - the 4000 mAH battery - that's a 21% jump in battery capacity - but NOT worth $600 over my find. Besides, I'm just dipping my toes in Android again so a lot less at risk.

1. Folio - the keyboard is very good (good travel, good action), but "flat" because you can't attach it to the screen. Likewise, the back cover is nice for all around protection BUT the elephant in the room is the origami stand - doesn't begin to hold a candle to the Surface kickstand - but surprisingly better than the iPad Pro 10.5 Smart Keyboard.
    2. Dock - It's a little Rube Goldberg right now. I have two Samsung SH850 27" QHD monitors, that are also native USB-C devices. They include a small USB hub, so I connect to the first monitor by USB-C to USB-C cable, connect my printer and Ethernet to the USB hub, and that monitor also supplies power for the GB12. I attach the second monitor to the GB12's other USB-C port by a USB-C to displayport cable. The GB12 DOES NOT support MST, so you can't just daisy chain the two displayport monitors together to make this a single cable solution. I have not tried any third party docking solutions, but am not aware of any that provide two DP out ports so I could make this a one cable solution like the Surface Connector.
    3. The taskbar can be sluggish to come back up at times, but I've gotten used to it for both of the reasons mentioned above. Plus if I'm using my keyboard the Windows Key makes it much easier. I even dropped using Themes in favor of a solid black desktop to further avoid burn-in and preserve power when using it as a tablet/laptop away from my desk.
    Here's hoping for a 2018 GB12 with Thunderbolt 3 and LTE - if they do that, I KNOW my next device without a doubt (assuming they don't abandon Wacom EMR). Otherwise, that upgraded SG is going to be tugging at me again because of the single cable docking, LTE and kickstand. Even then, I'm not sure I can leave Wacom EMR behind, especially if I keep the Note 8. Speaking of which, I have read several reviews that although Samsung Flow is not as "smooth" as Samsung would have you believe, it can turn your Samsung phone's hotspot on for you from your GB12 - which may soften the absence of built in LTE.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    djas and WillAdams like this.
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

@dstrauss: excellent overview of your unit's usage. Is there a thread anywhere in this forums that discuss user"s desktop and on-the-go setup s? 2ould love to contribute some.

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Dale found a worthy successor to the TPT2! :thumbsup::vbeek:

6. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I am finding when inking in OneNote in my SG using the Surface pen that there are times when the pen doesn't register at the left margin. I have been going along writing notes and when I begin a new line pen strokes don't show up. I have even seen the pen pointer display in the middle of the page when my hand and the pen tip is located at the left margin. Is this a hardware issue -- either with the pen or the digitizer -- or a software issue that can be addressed with an update?

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The real issue for me with LTE is not draining the phone's battery while using the tablet. It keeps the phone in reserve if you need it.

8. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok, so I have been perfectly happy with my surface go until this morning... My daughter came by with her new Samsung Tab S4. Oh man , it's thin, the screen is beautiful, its got office (sort of) and the Spen feels much nicer in the hand. My daughter edits technical documents for her primary job and the ability to mark them up with the S-pen , the size and weight etc., sold her on it.

I do have a surface book for the heavy lifting, So please talk me out of taking the go back to BB....

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If you don’t need full Office, Windows, a keyboard as good as the type cover, or the kickstand, then an android tablet like the s4 with Wacom pen and android office is totally acceptable. All about use cases.

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's kind of my thinking with two additional data points. She had the keyboard cover and it was right up there with the surface go type cover (though no trackpad).

2nd is that I use kindle and have a ton of books. The windows app flat out sucks but the android app is pretty great.

What I'm trying basically to do is lighten my travel load. I know it's too soon for the S4 but any input on like the S3 or just other stuff I should try/look at before making a switch?