Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Oh come on - you know I have substantial commitment issues - and just think what an 8th gen i5/LTE GB12 2018 plus Galaxy X with S-Pen could accomplish!

dellaster and djas like this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Does the Sp4 pen have the magnetized handle? They method of attachment is a clear benefit of the surface pen line over other vendors, imo. Particularly if you work in the field or are frequently mobile when taking notes and drawing. If I could get a better inking experience and sill have the pen be magnetized, that would be a plus.

I’m also curious to see if Brydge will eventually make a keyboard for this device, as they’ve done for the other surface models. I would love a detachable clamshell experience. The type cover really is very good, (surprisingly good, honestly) but there are some clear functional benefits to clamshell usage. It might even be worth having it be Bluetooth.

Finally, i would love to hear more about the s-mode experience on the device- comparative battery life, responsiveness, etc . It occurred to me that with Sketchbook, Office, and Edge, plus Sketchup now available through a browser if you have mouse support, I could use a device like this for almost everything. I could even move to Affinty Photo instead of PS6 for photo touch ups. If there are obvious benefits, why move away from s-mode, if it can do everything?

I do keep thinking though- if only Samsung would offer a comparably small and lightweight new device, perhaps on ARM, with keyboard and s-pen in a silo.... ???

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The SP4 pen attaches magnetically and definitely performs better than the newer pen on the Go.

S-Mode is great but doesn't offer any benefits other than security that I can see. There are a lot of benefits to buying apps through the Windows Store vs. through individual vendors, but at the end of the day the moment you need a utility that isn't available in the store...you're gone.

sonichedgehog360 and WillAdams like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:):):):):)

My hopes EXACTLY for the 2018 Galaxy Book: 10.6" WOA and 12" Intel Gen 8.

5. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, I have one of these now (base). I will say, I haven't noticed any downside to the base setup, which we all assume is inevitable. Just haven't so far.

One thing, and maybe someone can help me. I get this weird backlight fading in and out, that I've been seeing on a lot of tablets. It drivers me CRAZY. It's some Windows power setting (I immediately go into advanced power settings and turn that adaptive brightness off, and I think that's what starts it ). God knows what that's about.

Also, what kind of USB-C adapters do you guys use? With my Macbook I use the Apple stuff, which of course doesn't work on this. I have one USB adapter, that i don't like as it sticks out of the the port.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That’s weird. I thought for sure s-mode provided battery life benefits?

I would prefer 10.1, but I get where you’re coming from. One of the issues with Samsung devices though is that there re so many different models they never get any outside vendor peripherals. With the Surface line, as there are fewer (and more consistent) models, you do. Special keyboards and such, which I like. A lot like how the iPad line does.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m27aixko3kfh6l/adaptive brightness.png?dl=0

After all these years, I still can't reliably embed a picture here to save my life. :-(

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nope, it's some Intel thing, and I also hate it. Not sure if it's easy to turn off on the Go. Usually it's "right click desktop, select Intel Graphics Settings, go to "Power", disable power saving options".

upload_2018-8-9_9-56-42.png

9. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for that Sufaceproartist , but as you may have noticed, I mention that?

(read my post again)

Yeah, I remember now that someone said it's an Intel thing, and you need to approach it from there.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Copy the picture to your clipboard. Start new post. Hit CTRL-V.