Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We will go back in time to ancient days of 2010 and present an average Joe our futuristic Surface Go tech.

"Whoa, ipads can run windows too?"
    - Joe the plumber, before ripping off the kickstand which is probably just a deadweight accessory

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

b52hbuff, cmergel, jvloyola and 3 others like this.
  3. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Great review!!!

surfaceproartist likes this.
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

l
    Thank you! That is an excellent review. I am not an artist, however you did touch on inking and on tablet only mode. Question: Do you think the first generation Surface Pen (256 levels) from the Surface 3 will suffices for inking as it does not have the fancy tech the newer Pen has?

My Surface 3 is in S Mode so this paragraph is very much appreciated, so thank you.

"While living in S, I also tried to use the Go in tablet mode, sans keyboard. The touch keyboard has improved dramatically over the years and touch response on the Go is perfect. Setting up my full screen start menu full of colorful live tiles got me very nostalgic for the pleasures of Windows 8.x on tablets. It’s too bad Microsoft abandoned horizontal navigation and side swipes in Windows 10. But the new tablet mode has improved too and I could also see myself using it more often now that I’ve rediscovered it"

Lastly, you nailed this:

"Along with the full Office suite, several PDF readers, music, film and tv players, I could imagine living securely and comfortably in S Mode. If you buy a Go and don’t need to run Adobe software or Clip Studio, resist the urge to migrate just for the sake of Chrome. The Edge browser has come a long way. Give it a chance before you set it aside"

You described me 100%. Excellent review! Bravo!

5. djas

djas Graffiti User

To assist navigation in tablet-mode, I'd recommend GestureSign, installable from the Store. Also, try out Monument Browser, a lightweight version of Edge.

The size, weight & sheer portability of the Go is perfect for tablet-mode in portrait. Wish a tech journalist or two would review the Go in that configuration.

Bronsky and Chris_Kez like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks for the tip - that coupon helped me snag a used Galaxy Note 8 for $399.99 last night (the test drive vs iPhone X will begin soon).

Excellent review - as always. In fact, yours are the only reviews I have ever read that have the feel of a real USER looking at the device. For now, I am digging in my heels with the GB12, but I keep thinking about that little Surface Go with LTE and a 256gb drive coming this fall, and I have to say it sounds pretty sweet.

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

Note 8 + Galaxy Book 12 = Wacom EMR heaven!

(Keep both) ;)

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's my hope - until we see what Galaxy X brings to the table...:D

djas likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

arg!

JoeS likes this.