Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

surfaceproartist likes this.
  2. djas

djas Graffiti User

Tech press.... (sigh)

3. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Reformed Lumia Fan

Zac Bowden covers most of the issues here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, I find that that video Zac did only covers the most (ahem :vboops:) surface-level issues with W10 tablet mode. Yeah, there's some things he went into mostly about fluidity, but I wish he did a deeper dive of some of the functionality-level changes for the worse.

...That being said, I gave in pretty fast on the upgrade from W8.1 to W10 despite my initial misgivings, mostly for USB-C, which isn't fully supported on earlier devices. :D Also, most of the non-tablet functionality about W10 is drastically better. It's just a shame that nobody working on W10 really understood what was great about W8.x on tablets because there really was promise at one point that W10 could've been the best of both worlds... but it's fairly clear that Microsoft is only interested in lip service on this front. At this point, I guess it's just a matter of waiting and hoping for the so-called "Cshell" to actually spend some effort on a good tablet experience.

djas likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Every lazy girl's dream date.

nnthemperor and djas like this.
  6. djas

djas Graffiti User

The Mrs is one lucky lady.... he he

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Don't show her that. "Are you saying I'm lazy?"

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

b52hbuff, cmergel, jvloyola and 3 others like this.
  9. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Great review!!!

surfaceproartist likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

l
    Thank you! That is an excellent review. I am not an artist, however you did touch on inking and on tablet only mode. Question: Do you think the first generation Surface Pen (256 levels) from the Surface 3 will suffices for inking as it does not have the fancy tech the newer Pen has?

My Surface 3 is in S Mode so this paragraph is very much appreciated, so thank you.

"While living in S, I also tried to use the Go in tablet mode, sans keyboard. The touch keyboard has improved dramatically over the years and touch response on the Go is perfect. Setting up my full screen start menu full of colorful live tiles got me very nostalgic for the pleasures of Windows 8.x on tablets. It’s too bad Microsoft abandoned horizontal navigation and side swipes in Windows 10. But the new tablet mode has improved too and I could also see myself using it more often now that I’ve rediscovered it"

Lastly, you nailed this:

"Along with the full Office suite, several PDF readers, music, film and tv players, I could imagine living securely and comfortably in S Mode. If you buy a Go and don’t need to run Adobe software or Clip Studio, resist the urge to migrate just for the sake of Chrome. The Edge browser has come a long way. Give it a chance before you set it aside"

You described me 100%. Excellent review! Bravo!