Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a very old one, and then later a Lamy. Both leaked at various points and ruined many a handwriting assignment. Even my expensive Pilot one broke. Far better to stick with some good Pilot technical pens.

What were we talking about again? Oh yeah, N-Trig sucking.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. djas

djas Graffiti User

imho, one thing about the Windows ecosystem is that we have choices. lots and lots of choices. choose what fits is what I'd say.

I reckon most here use their units as BYOD? If so, you have the power of choice and spent the cash towards your device of choice in accordance to your needs and preferences.

Professionally, my position affords me to choose any TabletPC/PC/Laptop on offer by our vendor (corporate leasing) yet I still chose the Surface 3. Why? It more than suits my needs. One of the reason is the Surface Pen (256 levels) which I abuse the h*ll out of it. It has been 3 years and I still refuse to let the S3 to be replaced. I'm stupid that way.... lol.

Looking forward to try out the Go. September can't come soon enough. :)

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Me too, when I was young and (more?) nerdy. Up until the second good shirt ruined by leakage in the pocket, IIRC.

One thing about digital pens: even if they do crappy writing they don't destroy your clothing! :thumbsup:

dstrauss, Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This was a badge of honor (or was that a nerd alert) when I was in junior high...

[​IMG]

5. dstrauss

Tom Warren over at The Verge has added his voice to Dieter's praise of the Surface Go:

"With the Surface Go, Microsoft has really nailed the form factor for this type of device. While it’s easy to label it an iPad competitor or a Chromebook competitor, I think it’s time to acknowledge that Surface is its own thing. Microsoft has defined the category well, and its PC partners, Apple, and Samsung have all attempted to follow. I thought Microsoft had given up on 10-inch tablets, but the Surface Go is a pleasant surprise."

He acknowledges it is not good as a pure tablet play, but his point is well taken, it IS the leader in this new category that even Apple is trying to expand into - productivity tablets*.

PS - I hereby claim first use of this term (yeah, right)...MS please continue to lead, not follow. It is iPad Pro and Tab4 that is trying to get into the productivity on deck circle...you just keep swinging away at the productivity fence from the plate.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    nnthemperor likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I haven't checked this in detail (there may be taxes and shipping costs), but Windows Central highlights a 15% off deal on eBay that could get you the 128GB Surface Go with alcantara type cover for $564 total. Not bad!
    https://www.windowscentral.com/save-more-100-surface-go-type-cover

Edit: it checks out, use eBay code Pronto15. I totally would have bought it too, but it seems like PayPal is confused because the site tries to validate the full purchase price, after which it tries to actually charge the discounted price. Thanks eBay for giving me time to reconsider my ways :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Apparently Adorama ran out of keyboards, but the code works with some of the other keyboard sellers as well since it is an eBay promotion.

Very tempting, especially since no sales tax, but if I end up going that direction it will only be for LTE/256gb.

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

Still can't see the critisms about the Windows 10's tablet mode. Maybe I'm too easy to be pleased.

9. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

love these Ebay sales. Store-wide sales float my boat. 15% OFF

pronto15

(as in, better hurry TFU)

JoeS likes this.
  10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tablet mode has improved over the last three years, but the gestures and horizontal navigation in Windows 8.x were better. All the tech press carped that the gestures were impossible to discover, but they were no more complex than the gestures in any iOS app.

darkmagistric, JoeS and dellaster like this.