Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Hey now! I didn't design a fish hook making device! ;-)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

nnthemperor, Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

If I'm writing a fast and sloppy I will get some minor fish-hooking (but in my defense I get that when I use analog rollerball pens IRL)

[​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why can't N-trig devices uses thin flexible nibs like the GB12 S Pen (full size pen)? It's not just the technical capability of the pen architecture (although I know that is important) - it is the "feel on glass" that make you think you are writing on paper, unlike the harder N-trig with more glass slippage - and worse still Apple Pencil which feels like it will skip off the device at any moment.

@jnjroach - do you prefer Windows OneNote (to OneNote 2016) or is it just easier in S Mode?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

Surface Dock - has anyone tried their Surface Go with the Surface Dock? Can it drive two 2k monitors (QHD 2560x1440)? Can it also handle multiple USB peripherals? This is where I am hoping that the "antiquated" (yes, I've called it that) Surface Connector can really shine with more lanes to drive in than simply a USB-C 3.1 port/.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I do, knowing that the desktop version was EoL after 2016 and the better battery life I get using the UWP version made me switch. Also, I much prefer that UWP Ink API over the deprecated on that the Office Team used in OneNote 2016 (and earlier). I use OneDrive (Personal and Business) for my Notebooks. The UWP does everything I need it to do.

Not sure about the 2 2.5K Monitors (shouldn't be an issue), but the Dock works fine and drives my WUHD 4K without issue:

[​IMG]

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yep. I'm staying the course. That is, unless Samsung does something really brilliant with the GB 10, which I don't expect. I'm waitin' and hopin'.

Although Sister Mary Anastasia would be very displeased with that sentence … "works out the problem.":newpalm:

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

To paraphrase Billy - "Out out, damn problem" - the shortcomings of my public education I'm afraid...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Surprisingly positive review from Dieter Bohn at The Verge: "If you stay within its limits, the Surface Go is perhaps the most delightful computer Microsoft has ever shipped. You just have to know what to expect before you buy it." Of course I like that he closes with the positioning argument I've already made-- the Surface Go is simply a smaller Surface Pro; don't overthink it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/7/17657174/microsoft-surface-go-review-tablet-windows-10

9. dstrauss

Great review and pretty serious praise from Dieter - as well as a very perceptive analysis of making your expectations match the device and usage model at hand.

This is looking more and more like a winner - HOWEVER - I just wish we'd see ONE REVIEWER who is a pen user - not just casual user for the purposes of reviewing.

10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Pretty flattering review; however, no inking demo.... again. At this point, I have about given up on mainstream tech journalists & their reviews.

Bronsky likes this.