Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

If the bezels were just a few mm smaller all around then it could still look like a Surface proportionally. As it is, the Surface Go bezels look comically out of date next to the iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodycape likes this.
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes that's true from company aspect and maintain Surface family in "known waters" and same desigh language, but not from customer and cunsumer aspect that want something different,new,modern, an improved design language.

After all gradually folow the new trend with one device at a time will not destroy the current fit line but at the opposite will offer extra motivation to cunsumer that MS is evolving and staying in line with competition and not being behind.

MS always should look competition strategy that goes to edge to edge displays and folow and not staying far behind.

Is that cosnumer want at the end as much screen fit the body of any kind device.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Chris_Kez, dstrauss and Marty like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I am in such love over the bezels since they actually fit fingers properly unlike the ridiculously small bezels on the iPad Air 10.5”. The finger overhang is a real struggle and a common issue I saw often with that iPad in normal usage. Now, here is a happy medium between the huge bezels of yesteryear’s tablet PCs and the form without function bezels of “modern” iToys... err... devices. Some design fads can go too far in either direction like fins on cars or bezels on displays. Thank goodness for moderation and good sense to keep bezels within balance on the Surface Go.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting...so to hell the with the whole "unified" thing. Newer should always be better!

I have to say, I kinda like that philosophy... :thumbsup:

(And I guess you could say MS is already doing it with USB-C, albeit slowly haha)

alextrela182 and dstrauss like this.
  5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well you know technology at mobile/tablet pc department is among(gaming departments also)the more excitement that seeing OEM fighting and explore all over the time new thing and trying offer something different,new to consumer.

People always looking forward new design language at every aspect of technology and OEM should maintain excitement of consumer.

If one OEM failed to follow that guide at the end the position of that OEM would become more and more difficult.

You can’t offer the same design language all over again you must give people something new.

After all mobile technology is one of the few out there in our life that could test and buying new things and having different experiences more often than anything else.

We can’t do that with other aspect of life like buying every year a new car or a new home or going every year at new country for vacation.:p

Right??

And OEM should always have in mind that many people buying things not only because one product meets their needs but also that like to test every time new technology and newer experience that technology is offering.

So the must being flexible and open mind when thinking of releasing new product.

From that aspect Surface Go is the absolute the opposite.

Doesn’t bring any excitement,nothing new,nothing different,nothing innovative even at minimum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

efjay and Marty like this.
  6. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Not that great. Would have loved to jump to a surface go BUT there are just too many deal breakers:

Bezel is too large, no USB charging, no USB-A, no micro HDMI, stupid proprietary surface connect, only 9.5 hours battery, NVMe only for 128GB, ...

I love my asus transformer mini which is almost exactly like a slower Surface Go, but WITH USB-A, micro HDMI, fingerprint reader, and micro USB charging. Did I mention that it is much, much, much cheaper and cones work a pen and keyboard. If only it was faster ...

Here is to hoping that Asus will release an updated version that kicks this sorry piece of tech in the ass.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

4415Y Pentium "Gold" is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE CPU choice. It will barely outperform Surface 3's X7-Z8700, let alone newer Gemini Lake N5000 Pentium "Silver". Look at how the previous version struggles to beat it's Pentium Silver counterpart.

4415Y, just like the 4405Y is basically a binned Core i3 that failed QA at the i3 specs for whatever reason and is sold at locked lower clockspeed. That low clock lock (1.6GHz) is gonna kill it in performing anything significant. Remember the Core i3 in the cheapest Surface Pro 3? That was also a binned CPU (4020Y) locked to 1.5GHz and it was a dog in performance.

I'm frankly baffled why MS didn't go with a smaller and cheaper Pentium N5000 Silver instead. Maybe Intel is giving MS an incredible deal on these 4415Ys? I sure hope so. BTW N5000 Silver benches SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 4405Y, and I suspect that the 100MHz increase to 4415Y won't make much difference and will be beaten by the N5000 Silver.

As for hye Surface Go itself, I'd much rather spend $500 on eBay and get the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 with a proper Core M3 and much much better EMR digitizer and pen, which is included along with the KB cover.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Microsoft is saying that it's 2x as fast as the Surface 3 in terms of CPU performance, and 2.5x as fast in terms of GPU performance. So what gives?

9. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The proof will be in the pudding. Reputable tech sites should be running it through their benchmarks and reporting results this week.

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

In reality, Core based processors do much better than the Atom derivatives or the Apple A series in extended, heavy workloads as can be seen in 3DMark’s CPU-oriented Physics test or BAPco’s TabletMark. The Pentium Gold is Core-based through and through without the architectural corner cutting and the race-to-sleep dynamic frequency tricks of Atom or Apollo Lake or the A series. So you can naturally put two and two together to see which one does better in real world heavy multitasking like multi-tab browsing with Office open and music playing in the background. Even if we see a 20% drop in CPU performance from Core M, this will still come out on the top of heap in the midrange compared to what Apple can muster at this price point. See below:

[​IMG]

upload_2018-7-10_13-37-10.png

upload_2018-7-10_13-39-5.png

upload_2018-7-10_13-39-38.png

Add on top of this the HD Graphics 615 which slays the old school Atom in every way and is only 10-15% away from the New Surface Pro’s 620, and it is clear that this is a huge jump over Surface 3 in every way imaginable. Naturally, this is not a Surface Pro in price point or use case so expecting Surface Pro-class performance here is absurd and naive.

Sources:

https://bapco.com/news/pc-perspecti...ablet-using-bapcos-tabletmark-2017-benchmark/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/300...he-ipad-pro-really-isnt-as-fast-a-laptop.html

Chris_Kez likes this.