Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

Agree. Ink to text.

I'm over-thinking, aren't I? To begin with, my handwriting is nothing to crow about either.... :D

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And it's not like a device can do something about that. At least not yet. But I bet it is coming.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All we're saying is that this performance is a step backwards.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ahh, that makes sense. I must have missed that post.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Compared to the Surface 3 this is a giant leap forward. It might not make a great art machine but as a digital moleskin its about perfect. Footprint wise it is close to the Surface Mini.

djas likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed. It's a huge step up from the Surface 3 and performs very comparably to the m3 Surface Pro 4.

sonichedgehog360 and jnjroach like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Sorry. This line of reasoning is lost on me. Yes, in almost every way, the Go is the obvious evolution of the Surface 3. @Mesosphere designed it for god's sake.

But, I can't excuse such an obvious flaw. My Surface 3 doesn't make fishooks. I don't want fishooks and I do want to be able to transmit my notes to others, particularly annotations. When I do, I don't want fishooks. I want Microsoft to make the damn tablet work. This has been a known issue with NTrig since my Slate 500.

I'm hoping that MS works the problem out. I'm assuming that it will. But, I must say that it gives me pause. And, no one has been a bigger fan of the device than me.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Besides the fact he has perfect penmanship, I'm curious why Jeff's printing has no visible fishhooks. His lines seem shorter and more compact, while @Bronsky's demo had lengthy downward lines on the "q" and other letters. I tend to agree this is a never-ending problem for N-Trig devices, and I realize that Microsoft is trying to establish an industry standard (pens) across many vendors who are ALWAYS looking for the cheapest solution - thus N-Trig - because it is "good enough."

I feel we are left to our own pocketbooks at decision time, and despite my desire for the kickstand and near Surface Mini proportions, I continue the love affair with Wacom EMR on the GB12. I'm studying for a New Mexico licensing exam (clients are wandering westward) so I have been doing even more notetaking and PDF markup than usual. The best analogy I can muster to describe the experience of Wacom EMR on the GB12 is like the difference between silk and burlap...

PS - all of that said, don't give up @Bronsky - I think the 256gb LTE is going to be irresistible since they'll have a couple of months to iron out these rough edges and will be reaching for $999 out of your wallet, fully equipped (mine too I fear).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Hey now! I didn't design a fish hook making device! ;-)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

nnthemperor, Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

If I'm writing a fast and sloppy I will get some minor fish-hooking (but in my defense I get that when I use analog rollerball pens IRL)

[​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.