Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Inking appears fast and fluid as you doodle. It’s only when you try to draw something accurately or ink something neatly that you notice the problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The inking feels great. It is fluid and there is no perceptible lag. But, I think @surfaceproartist is correct that, even using the Pro 4 pen, you can get the fishhooks at the bottom of a vertical line. I went back to my original inking video and I can clearly see the hooks on the vertical lines, even in cursive. It's was imperceptible to me at the time, but when I went looking for them, there they were.

I can't help thinking that there will be a firmware fix for this (as well as the SSD write speed issue) rather soon.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  3. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I have the Wacom Bamboo Ink Stylus on order as several have recommended. Hopefully this will help with the inking\writing. I am hoping there will be a fix [@Bronsky] for the inking, but I am not optimistic...

The New Surface Stylus is horrible.
    The Surface Pro 4 Stylus is better, but still unacceptable.

4. yodamiked

yodamiked Scribbler - Standard Member

This all sounds frustratingly familiar to the various forums related to the nSP pen issues. Waiting for firmware fixes (which never came), resorting to the Bamboo Ink, etc. Why can’t Microsoft just get their pen tech right lately? They desperately need to release a new gen pen with the next SP and hopefully leave these issues behind.

5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Hi @Bronsky : Have you tried the Go with our Surface 3 Pen (256 levels)?

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Looking at Bronsky’s video, my experience was not as smooth. Not crazy terrible or anything, but not as a smooth. But my demo model didn’t have windows ink space installed - I couldn’t find it anywhere. I wonder if some details were not fully installed yet, that were affecting performance. I expect very little from Best Buy employees.

I’ll reserve inking judgment for the time being. There are clear benefits with using a Surface pen though, and I would much prefer to use that pen if I get the device. Tilt is one of them, and the magnetic attachment is another. I can very much imagine the value of that attachment while walking around with it as a tablet, making notes. I’ve lost pens before in the field, which sucks. Or you end up fumbling around for the pen in your pocket, etc etc. Or it’s too heavy to keep behind your ear, etc.

7. surfaceproartist

For some reason, the Windows Ink Workspace button is hidden by default on the S Mode task bar. You have to right-click on the taskbar to show it.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Are those of you experiencing ink problem on S Mode, or full Windows 10?

9. surfaceproartist

I broke down and converted to Windows 10 Home this morning and installed Clip Studio Paint. Fish hooks were evident until I cranked up stabilization to over 50%, something I've never had to do on other devices. But it works...

Because the hooks occur on very specific strokes (rapid, repetitive, vertical), I think it should be possible to work around them while drawing. I don't think it will be as easy for notetaking, especially since those applications don't offer variable stabilization.

10. surfaceproartist

Both, but it's variable by application. Some exhibit the problem more than others.