Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Hmmm. I think I will have to try that stylus. I am disappointed the fact that their own stylus’s aren’t working....

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

This is actually hilarious come to think of it. So is their G5 chipset in the more premium Surfaces just an overhyped anti-fish hook post processing chipset as a stopgap for their own fundamentally flawed Surface Pens? Now, I know this sounds crazy and all so hear me out because it would seem to be the case the more I think about it. I mean, the Surface 3 has no problems like this, but it has only 256 pressure levels making it a bit more unlikely to detect the lighter pressure levels where the fish hooks happen.

So here is the hypothesis to muse over: maybe it was the fact the later Surface Pro 4 and later models added more pressure levels in their digitizers which, in turn, revealed a fundamental flaw in the Surface Pen. This flaw could be the nib actually get stuck ever so slightly at lower, previously undetected pressure levels which results in these fish hooks.

In turn, this may have necessitated a chipset to fix the flaw. Of course, they gave it a fancy name to make it look cool and high tech to the masses including even the spec geeks to make it look like they went above and beyond to make things better since the digitizer got its own dedicated chipset. But maybe, just maybe, in reality, the chipset is nothing fancy at all except a Band-Aid, PR-sanitized fix to ensure the pen experience did not get worse than the previous generation from the fish hooks we are now seeing on a non-equipped Surface.

Maybe if I were your friendly neighborhood WalkingCat or a fly on the wall in Building 87 when such design problems were being openly discussed and tackled for a then upcoming Surface Pro 4, I could have heard this one for myself and known once and for all if this were true or not. You decide.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    HeavyHanded likes this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I admit, I too (despite really lovely build quality) was quite disappointed in the inking experience when I went to the store. Nothing sexy or smooth about it at all. No fancier (IMO) than my old Thinkpad 14s gen1 AES (how’s that for a mouthful?). Definitely not compared to inking on the SB2, or the iPad.

So I should be able to take my Bamboo Ink pen (the black triangular one that inks so we’ll on the TY4), press the two buttons together at the same time (while pressing the screen with too?), and get this improved inking experience in the store with a floor model? But with it I lose tilt?

I admit, I had sort of hoped I’d get the inking I got on the SB2 with the Go, including tilt, just in a smaller portable footprint. I was considering upgrading to the android Samsung S3, just as a portable inker, because of the 9.7” 4:3 screen and the Wacom pen, but the Go is so much more powerful. But as an inking device it seemed to fall pretty short comparatively.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmmmmm...my GB12 is looking better all the time...if only it had a kickstand - it is a no go in your lap. Hope this levels out because I'm liking everything else I'm seeing about this Surface Pad.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Greetings from Across the pond. Three days into my trip and I have a good feel of the Go.
    Performance is pretty decent...and the keyboard is very easy to adapt to.

Now.....the Pen.….it is great for pointing and navigating windows...….but for Art...it is Godawful. And I brought with me the nSP Pen, the Pro 4 Pen, and the Wacom Ink Pen.....they all suck. Feeling and IAF wise...the nSP pen I think feels the best....but the actual ink performance is complete garbage. In Clip Studio my line/brush work comes put horrid. I don't think its fault of the CPU.....but rather a really poorly implemented Pen system. I've been playing with every pen/pressure setting I can find and its still pretty horrid. Even the Pro 3 wasn't this bad. Glad I brought the Galaxy Book as backup....because the drawing experience between the two is night and day different. A pity and a shame.....but I was somewhat expecting this.....but for Art/Inking....the Go is near unusable.

Mesosphere, HeavyHanded and JoeS like this.
  6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I’m afraid the Bamboo Ink does not attach to the left of the tablet?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Don’t be terrified, but your instinctive fears are justified: it does not attach magnetically.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    lonaysta likes this.
  8. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

A painful tradeoff for me then...I don't intend to use SGo for artwork, but rather OneNote notetaking. Not purchased the pen though as I am still testing the model's performance for my daily use....

9. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

All your experiences are very different than my impressions. I’ve used the iPad Pro stylus for the past year-ish, Surface Pro 2, Samsung 9 Pro, and Samsung Chromebook Pro off and on for art and notes. The Surface Go feels like it has a similar experience to my iPad Pro, but with better friction. I also liked how tilt felt on the Surface. I’ve always felt the iPad tilt felt rather abrupt and fake. I tried the PaperLike for the iPad and the fuzziness was not worth it. Granted my testing was over an hour of focused drawing, and writing in the Microsoft store. It likely boils down to how we each write. My handwriting looks identical digitally as it does on paper. My writing technic is very much “sketch note taking” as I’m a Director of UI / UX and have used my iPad for notes during meetings and for whiteboarding. I’ll put it through a more intense round when I can pick mine up on Wednesday after my current hiking trip.

nnthemperor and HeavyHanded like this.
  10. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually am impressed with the inking with the surface 4 pen in Onenote. I have Tweaked some ink settings and feel better. I feel your pain my SP 2017 is horrible with the new pen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicholas8681 likes this.