Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

But I could play Mass Effect Trilogy on it. :D
    Also, with the arrival of Concepts on Windows 10 there's finally a decent hassle free sketching app. (Although still incomplete compared to the iOS version)

HeavyHanded and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

"Surface Go - the iPad for Adults!"

(PS - I claim first use on this advertising jingle)

After reading Ed Bott's excellent review over at ZDNet, I found several major take-away from his usual good work:

"In fact, the only difference between the two is that the Surface Go includes a USB Type-C port in place of the USB 3.1 Type A port on the Surface Pro. (Microsoft offers a Surface-branded USB-C to USB adapter for $20.) I tested the USB Type-C port with a Dell WD15 docking station and a generic USB Type-C dock; it performed flawlessly with both devices, connecting the Surface Go to power, a wired Ethernet connection, an external display, and as many USB peripherals as I could throw at it....

Performance-wise, if you're concerned about the ability of that Pentium Gold CPU to keep up, you can relax. This isn't a netbook. In fact, it felt downright zippy on every productivity task I threw at it. Graphics performance was surprisingly good, even when I connected the Surface Go to a large external monitor....

This is, of course, not a gaming PC or a professional workstation. I wouldn't count on this configuration to do heavy video editing or run a demanding game at maximum FPS. But for mainstream productivity work and casual gaming, it's more than good enough.

It's also a good enough tablet, capable of playing movies and music and browsing websites as well as an iPad, although it lacks the deep selection of apps for iOS."

Coming from much frustration trying to use generic USB-C docking solutions, this is very encouraging that it works out of the box with the Dell solution. As I said - "an iPad for adults".

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

It seems to me that when the partisans get venomous, the device might be on the right track. It means that it's successfully poaching on their territory.

It happened when the iPad Pro came out and all the Apple haters got vicious. And now all the Apple fanboys are getting down on the Surface Go so maybe it's going to be a big hit? That's my theory, anyway. :thumbsup:

djas likes this.
  4. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

After a the horrible setup day yesterday with the 4gb system and breaking the new Surface Pen I got time to use the device and now really love it. Using it for OneNote in portrait mode and landscape mode is perfect because of the size. The speed even with the 4gb is great. I was pleasantly surprised at how great the Surface 4 pen worked. So instead of buying a new $99 pen I am heading to the Microsoft store to get the 8gb model. I am half full with disk space already on the 64 and know what a pain it is when the drive gets that low on future OS upgrades etc. now hopefully this installation process is a lot easier than yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Would have still prefered the turbo speeds of the M3 but this describes my limited experience with the Pentium as well. The graphics power of the Pentium particularly. Graphics was the Atom's biggest weakness and appears to be the Pentium's biggest strength..

@inmnbob - I have to laugh. Your initial experience with the Go was so bad you had to go back and upgrade.:vbbiggrin:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One observation and one possible tip after having my go for another day.

1st. I connected it to and LG 4k display via usb C and it worked great. Full 4k display, charged the go and the usb ports on the monitor worked fine. I noticed just a bit of stutter with complex web pages on the LG display.

2nd, coming from another forum, a possible fix for the slow SSD speeds on the 128 model. Turn off bit locker, reboot, turn on bit locker, reboot again. Several people reported success with this

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So my one-day evaluation of pen performance testing with both a 2017 and an SP4 pen:

• Nice response, no perceptible lag with ink and pencil brushes
    • Higher IAF than current gen Surfaces, less variation using the Surface app to adjust pressure sensitivity
    • Very noticeable jitter on diagonal strokes that can be mitigated by stroke smoothing in apps like Sketchbook
    • Fish hooks at the bottom of most vertical pen strokes
    I really like the Go for the price. The keyboard is surprisingly good (that was one of my bigger disappointments of the Surface 3).

But if Ink is your most important consideration, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

8. inmnbob

That’s how technology addiction works

Bronsky likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PPS; My wife found me a nice little sleeve/case for the go. It fits almost like a glove for the go with or without the keyboard and has a pen holder and several pockets all while being fairly slim.
    Its at target (in the luggage section???) It's called a tablet organizer Item #069061541. Inexpensive too

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  10. inmnbob

Microsoft retail customer support is really great. Just wanted to recognize the team this morning that not only handled my exchange quickly they also covered the broken Surface Pen under warranty.

This is not the first time that I have been blown away by the staff at the Mall of America. In today’s world of discount retailers customer service is a lost art. I am willing to pay a little more to buy from Microsoft directly because of their support.