Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

After a the horrible setup day yesterday with the 4gb system and breaking the new Surface Pen I got time to use the device and now really love it. Using it for OneNote in portrait mode and landscape mode is perfect because of the size. The speed even with the 4gb is great. I was pleasantly surprised at how great the Surface 4 pen worked. So instead of buying a new $99 pen I am heading to the Microsoft store to get the 8gb model. I am half full with disk space already on the 64 and know what a pain it is when the drive gets that low on future OS upgrades etc. now hopefully this installation process is a lot easier than yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Would have still prefered the turbo speeds of the M3 but this describes my limited experience with the Pentium as well. The graphics power of the Pentium particularly. Graphics was the Atom's biggest weakness and appears to be the Pentium's biggest strength..

@inmnbob - I have to laugh. Your initial experience with the Go was so bad you had to go back and upgrade.:vbbiggrin:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One observation and one possible tip after having my go for another day.

1st. I connected it to and LG 4k display via usb C and it worked great. Full 4k display, charged the go and the usb ports on the monitor worked fine. I noticed just a bit of stutter with complex web pages on the LG display.

2nd, coming from another forum, a possible fix for the slow SSD speeds on the 128 model. Turn off bit locker, reboot, turn on bit locker, reboot again. Several people reported success with this

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So my one-day evaluation of pen performance testing with both a 2017 and an SP4 pen:

• Nice response, no perceptible lag with ink and pencil brushes
    • Higher IAF than current gen Surfaces, less variation using the Surface app to adjust pressure sensitivity
    • Very noticeable jitter on diagonal strokes that can be mitigated by stroke smoothing in apps like Sketchbook
    • Fish hooks at the bottom of most vertical pen strokes
    I really like the Go for the price. The keyboard is surprisingly good (that was one of my bigger disappointments of the Surface 3).

But if Ink is your most important consideration, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

5. inmnbob

That’s how technology addiction works

Bronsky likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PPS; My wife found me a nice little sleeve/case for the go. It fits almost like a glove for the go with or without the keyboard and has a pen holder and several pockets all while being fairly slim.
    Its at target (in the luggage section???) It's called a tablet organizer Item #069061541. Inexpensive too

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  7. inmnbob

Microsoft retail customer support is really great. Just wanted to recognize the team this morning that not only handled my exchange quickly they also covered the broken Surface Pen under warranty.

This is not the first time that I have been blown away by the staff at the Mall of America. In today’s world of discount retailers customer service is a lost art. I am willing to pay a little more to buy from Microsoft directly because of their support.

8. inmnbob

Just purchased it

[​IMG]

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

How do you compare the inking of this with the SP(2017)? And with the Wacom Bamboo Ink?

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Inking on the Surface Pro 2017 is far better. I certainly don't see those fish hooks on every downward stroke.

But it's funny that you mention the Wacom Bamboo Smart Stylus... It eliminates 90% of the fish hooks, so it's definitely the way to "Go." And it saves you $20 in the process. Unfortunately, there's no way to attach it to the side of the device.

bloodycape likes this.