Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

I have the feeling most here will switch to Windows 10 from S Mode? Understandle for a "normal" ultrabook/laptop. But for this small fella? Don't you think it's abit of an overkill?

Personally, for a TabletPC this small, I forgo the Type Cover & use the Pen for navigation, text & ink. Dock it to full-size K&M & monitor(s) for full PC usage. But that's just me.

Congrats to everyone for their purchase. Sure looks like a no-brainer replacement for any Surface 3 users. Arg!

surfaceproartist and Bronsky like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yikes! That's taking me back to Slate 500 days. You think it has anything to do with insider preview?

Firmware issues on the new hard drive. Inking issues with the new pen. Classic Misrosoft launch.

Actually, I'll be upgrading to 10 Pro and using it in full mode from the beginning. The whole idea for me is to be my primary unit while docked at the office and my mobile unit on the road. While I too use the pen for many functions, I still tend to navigate by fingertip and I do a lot of writing with the keyboard while home. My deck is a favorite place to write.

And, yes, the upgrade seemed like a no-brainer to me as well.:thumbsup: Now that I've read all the reviews and had the time to play with the Go for awhile, I could not be more pleased with what Microsoft came up with. The Pentium is a significant step-up from the Atom. The SSD is a vast improvement. The form factor is nearly perfect. I have my issues with the keyboard design but I think even that will improve over time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    HeavyHanded and djas like this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

Thanks @Bronsky for the explaination of your workflow. We who uses a single TabletPC as our only work/personal device do needs to be very clear of what our machine is utilize for.

My S3 is on S mode. Like you, I write a lot too. Loads of technical reports, technical documents, long-form text documents & emails. I, however, ink instead of typing. Everything starts on OneNote (imho, the best placeholder there is) then ink to text. Also, Nebo: Ink/Mindap/Calculate then convert to Word. It is awesome to an inker like me.

About the Go: What are you waiting for? ;) :D

4. Bronsky

I wish I could hand-write my briefs. My typing is so much faster than my hand writing, I can keep up with my thoughts and don't have to hold a thought until the text catches up.

I do prefer hand writing anything simple, however, like emails.

All I'm waiting for is LTE. I've decided (with quite a bit of browbeating from Dale) that it's worth the wait. Hopefully, it won't be long. I'll also need a new dock.

dceggert, Bishop, nnthemperor and 2 others like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:D Glad to be of service!

Seriously, by the time LTE launches all of these typical launch problems will be resolved for you,and all you'll struggle with is LTE performance for an update or two. Keep your eyes glued to the commercial page at the Microsoft Store for the WinPro 10 SKU (saves you $50 on the usual $100 upgrade fee) and I was told they are likely to get the 256gb option before consumer grades do. With this being your "one and only" I'd max the puppy out even if it does have a mSDXC slot. Plus, the 256/512gb SSD have been faster (in the past) than the 128gb variants.

All of this glee with the SG has made me double down on my GB12 full time - and it is so much more convenient than the SB2. The inking in OneNote 16 and Adobe Acrobat DC has been great I'm liking it more each time I open it up. Can't wait to see what the successor can do while pondering the SG LTE route.

HeavyHanded, djas and Bronsky like this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Bronsky What software do you need to run in Pro that won’t run on S? Office, OneNote, Xodo, etc are all available and you won’t run in to any of the potential land mines awaiting upgraders.

I’m evaluating the practicality of living in S Mode for my review and so far it’s okay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Dr. Pizza over at ArsTechnica inadvertently explained the dichotomy of Surface Go reviews out there - it has broken down between the pro-iPad and Windows camps.

The reviews are NOT "all over the map" as he suggests (face facts, he likes to get down on Microsoft like his buddy Thurrott; they think it gives them more journalistic cred) - just look at his list of Surface Go haters: Gizmodo, Mashable (which I proclaimed earlier should just change its name to Applebees), and Venturebeat - ALL Apple worshipers. Most of the other "mehs" are for poor performance - sorry folks, but anybody buying this thinking they are getting a Photoshop RAW editor or want to play Call of Duty should be sent to the loony bin where they belong.

Also, anyone dissing its keyboard needs to be strapped to a desk and forced to type a 2000 word essay on an Apple Smart Keyboard - without breaks for trips to the chiropractor...

8. Bronsky

Acrobat Pro and Word Perfect. I need Acrobat for document handling (although I see that Dale is using DC) and Word Perfect for drafting pleadings (can't live without reveal codes). I don't know if I can get Timeslips or quickbooks from the store either.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  9. dstrauss

Can't speak for @Bronsky, but a lot of enterprise services (especially domain services) require Win 10 Pro; plus Bitlocker is a must in those environments.

10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yes, I see why you need win32 softwares now. Also, I just now realized most of our fellow commenters use their device as BYOD.

My S3 is work-issued. We decided to go S mode department-wide with our apps pushes to us via MS Store for Business. I have another user-account running my own MSA for personal use.

I'm not OS savvy althoug I'm a sys admin. Work is just work.... lol. I just get my IT department to set-up my machine. Ah, the joy of working in an multinatinal enterprise. :)

Edit:
    From Microsoft: Line of Business applications available through Microsoft Store for Business.

Bronsky likes this.