Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I was about to post that.

For me, it comes about 3 years too late. In hindsight, that was probably a good thing. It allowed me to be tempted by the Surface Book, which I think really fits my needs better.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Agreed - but in my case I've transitioned from SB2 to the GB12 to downsize and have Wacom. Since the 256gb/LTE version looks like late fall at best (it took a YEAR to get LTE in the first place in the Surface line) I'll probably have the luxury of seeing what Samsung will do with the GB line. However, this cools me substantially on WOA, and I wonder how long it will be before we have truly usable WOA devices (which is where Samsung is headed).

That - and I MISS THE KICKSTAND from my Surface Pro days - origami, whether Apple or Samsung, is not a very good typing alternative.

PS - they should have snuck another 1/2-1" of screen into that frame.

sonichedgehog360 and WillAdams like this.
  3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea I looks great but they could have slimmed the bezel on it and gotten to 10.5 or greater. there are rumors that the ipad will even get smaller ones soon....I would rather have more screen and smaller bezels bit thats just me :)

nnthemperor and alextrela182 like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This shot from The Verge, head on, gives a great comparison of the GO vs the PRO - it truly is the Surface Air - good job @Mesosphere

[​IMG]

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think I might go the other direction. Whenever I upgrade (no plans on doing that particularly soon), I think I might go with the 15" Surface Book (or something like it).

Don't get me wrong. I am not meaning to poo-poo the Surface Go. Most people who like the S3/SG size want the mobility, but that was never my reason. Back when I believed I wanted a "Surface Air", the SP size just fit in a no-win middle ground for me. It wasn't enough bigger to really allow it to comfortably stand in for my workstations (which I do 90% of my computing on) when I travel. It also didn't provide enough extra note-taking room over the S3 to justify the size/weight increase (split screen note taking for example was still too camped), so I preferred the S3 size over the SP.

The SB was sort of a game changer for me by breaking through that middle ground. Even the battery life of the clipboard isn't a big deal for me given that most of my note taking happens right next to my workstation with the charger close at hand. In fact the small battery is a good thing, I never need more than a couple hours, so the reduced weight is a beneficial trade.

My reasons for wanting a Surface Air were always a bit unusual, but for the Bronkys of the world, I'm glad they finally got it.

Bronsky, dellaster and JoeS like this.
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You are not alone on that trust me.
    They could had done better job.
    They have no excuse.

Those bezel are unacceptable.

Things get even worse when Apple unveiled 2018 iPad Pro with even higher screen to body ratio.

Surface Go will look like from dinosaur age

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I love a good bezel, but that's a bit of a joke.
    I don't really get the Surface Connector. Sure it's magnetic, which is nice, but even in the promotion pic it's been bent unnaturally.

Also, N-Trig... bleh.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think the size of the keyboard is set by the width of the screen and type cover, because the keys are all square. So my take is that they just squeezed as much trackpad in there as they could. Added advantage, in the new design the trackpad is the same width and lateral placement as the space bar, OCD sufferers rejoice!

WillAdams likes this.
  9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I'm a big fan of the bezel-less trend (can't wait for edge-to-edge OLED to make the leap from phones to tablets)...but I will say that MS seems to be going for the "Surface Family" design language:

[​IMG]

If they had gone bezel-less (or even slim bezel), wouldn't that just not fit with the rest of the Surface line?

[​IMG]

Imagine zero-bezel on the left...wouldn't make the flagship Surface Pro look comically out of date?

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Well, the length and width is literally iPad Air-class now. In fact, it is so close in dimensions you could interchangeably use many iPad cases with it no problem: