Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Earlier, @dstrauss pointed out that the Go does not use Marvell but instead Qualcomm. Now with this teardown courtesy of @JoeS from iFixit, I wonder how well in the real-world this Qualcomm QCA6174A chip runs compared to, say, Intel. I have been told often that Qualcomm is the market leader in wireless technologies and is the one to beat but I have never had the opportunity to use one personally yet. All I know is Intel Wi-Fi chips are generally a good league or two above Marvell and Realtek in reception and throughput and having something comparable in quality and functionality is a nice step up.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    HeavyHanded and Mesosphere like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Read a lot of the reviews, yesterday and they are all over the place, couldn't stand it and went and bought one (8GB, 128GB) this morning. I love it so far. So much so that i'm going to give the SP4 to the wife. I'll have a surface book 2 for when I need the speed or big screen and the go for mobility and day to day. Anyone that's on the fence, really needs to try one in person to decide. I wasn't that impressed by the reviews, but using it more than changed my mind

3. Mindful Gadgets

Mindful Gadgets Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like I'm started to get similar write speeds as wmadan now. Not sure why the huge variance. I've got two results in the 500 - 600mbps and three results in the 150 mbps range all on idle. Perhaps a driver issue?

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice, I'm tempted to do the same. I have an X1 Yoga 3rd gen for heavy lifting, and my SP4 is a bit overkill for the casual use that it gets. It would be nice to have something more compact to grab and go. As an aside, they really nailed it with the name of this thing! :)

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Oops, sounds like it's a real problem. Yes, possibly driver or drive firmware related. Time to find a catchy phrase for this issue. NoGoGate?

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Cool, that could be my setup too one day. :D

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In my experience in S-mode on a Surface Pro 2, you can load some drivers through device manager as long as there's no installer component. So things that you can just use an .inf and maybe some .cat files and stuff have installed fine.

I suspect Microsoft will probably put out a downloadable driver pack in the next week or two and people should have no problems after that, but yeah that doesn't help the situation now. At least you were able to get it working for now though.

Mindful Gadgets likes this.
  8. Mindful Gadgets

Mindful Gadgets Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah I see, good to know!

Anyone have any questions about the Surface Go they want tested?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe reading somewhere that the sequential write speed drop is related to a day 1 firmware updated.
    I played some League of Legends on the SGo and it ran kind of okay with Medium Low at native resolution. FPS is 50+ when it's peace, and drops to 40~ when the battle begins. Good enough for a non serious player.

10. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Something that I think no one or reviewer has posted yet: USB-C charging power.
    I tested using the 65W Type-C PD Adapter that came with my Thinkpad X1 Tablet gen3 and a Power-Z KM001. Charging a Surface Go from 20% shows a 20V/1.8A/36W on the KM001.
    Not sure of the Surface Connect though. In fact I doubt if I will ever take that Surface Connect charger out from the box...

Edit: after a while the current goes up (which is usual for PD charging). Now it's showing 20V*2.2A=44W. Seems 20V is the constant here.

Edit2: I think I'm gonna keep the Samsung USB C Adapter even if I sell the GB10.6 to keep SGo...That adapter can really pass through all PD charging capability.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    dellaster, JoeS and Bronsky like this.