Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha! Actually, I agree. Lots of great reviews. So much so that I was surprised to see this one from Thurott and Sams:

...it was shocking that they were panning the device so badly while they were discussing the new keyboard contacts. They were wondering out loud if the new contacts would allow ability for backlit keyboard. And then they thought that the old Power Cover was backlit. It was amazing to see people who make their career on commenting about Microsoft to be so ignorant on the Surface.

Answers for the non-zealots:
    1. Pretty much all Surface Type Covers are backlit.
    2. Surface Go Type Cover is backlit.
    3. Power Cover was not backlit.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The Ars Technica review of the reviews says they're mixed. There are definitely a few naysayers, but overall I'd say they are pretty darn positive.

3. b52hbuff

I'm really looking forward to Rubino's next series of videos. He's really pro-WOA. He thinks the HP Envy x2 was made for his use case. He says that SG is too small to be his only computer, so let's see how he compares SG and WOA machines.

...oh and he keeps his WOA machines on WinS. If I ventured into the new SG bandwagon, I'd probably keep it in WinS too. I'd want to give it every edge for battery and stability.

4. b52hbuff

The wonderful thing about the Windows ecosystem is the ability to pick from a set of choices. My daughter has a MacBook Pro 2012. We were discussing about what happens next when it dies. Right now, she only has three choices, MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacAir. We are concerned about keyboard feel and design and there aren't many choices.

Anyway, the awesome thing about Surface and this thread is we can all discuss choices. It helps me to challenge my own choices and others to see if there is something to learn/change or if my choices still stand the test of time.

My modular choice is simply an iPhone 6S and a SurfacePro 2017. I think it works for me because the downside of syncing is bigger than the upside of having a device the size of an SG.

...but good luck to those of you making the plunge. Enjoy your new toys!

JoeS and djas like this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Here I am stuck at work doing night shift and been reading the reviews while RTA. Really, really hope work gonna offer the GO in our leasing. Department has been trying to convince to replace the S3 with a Lenovo X1 Tablet. I'm not interested.

I am no time for Thurrot and friends. Their commentaries and opinions are antiquated. They have no sense and expertise about pen computing and TabletPC.

I find using Windows 10 in S Mode (that's a mouthfull, that is) to be very liberating. My Group IT is loving it. From what I observe, more and more Microsoft shop enterprises are adopting it. Because, Microsoft 365.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Is it the 2018 X1 tablet? Are you not interested because it's too big or too heavy? Because apart from those two things, that device is freaking awesome!

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

You got it. And OMG it's awesome! Just not for me.

I ink. All the time. Ink to text is when I need convert my notes/writing if be. So, yeah, as a digital notepad/moleskine, size matters.

In that regard, the Go fits perfectly. I see it as the perfect upgrade for the Surface 3. To top it off, it's smaller.

Edit:
    Oops. I just checked with IT. It is not X1 3rd Gen but the previous model. The one with the attachments modules hidden at the back. Still an excellent machine.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

FYI for those of you who have two monitor setups (if they are 2k - QHD - aka 2560x1440) - the little engine that could can handle that - from Tom's Guide:

"There's one other way the Surface Go stands out versus the iPad. With the Surface Connect port, you can power two external 2K monitors at once, so this slate can pull double duty as a full desktop PC. You'll just have to keep your performance expectations in check."

@Bronsky - you can join the 21st Century, maybe even dabble in MS Word...:eek:

9. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

One way to look at this, is that it's a Surface 3 update. I owned the S3 and never warmed to it.
    it is:

1) Too slow
    2) Uncomfortable to hold
    3) And I hated that charger with a passion.

I mean, why TF have a USB port charger that only really works with one adapter (at least that's what I found, and I tried many with the correct wattage). Very frustrating.

But i gave up on it long ago. Maybe there's a solution

So am I going to be happy with this? Absolutely, if i look at it that way :)

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Two ways, imho. Yup as an upgrade and as a secondary machine.