Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You know, some of the more unscrupulous people on this forum would just buy one and return it if the SG-LTE would be announced within two weeks.. :D

Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  2. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Yikes, I wanted to save! Now i'm thinking SSD

Will it never end? (yes, some day....soon) :D

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Telstar1948 and Bronsky like this.
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

After returning my surface book 2 the other day, I also took a look at the new surface go. It’s super cute and very well put together! In particular, I was quite impressed by the upscale version of the keyboard. I found the travel and type experience really very nice. Honestly, surprisingly so. And I’m finicky about my keyboards! It also has a remarkably large trackpad, given the size of the keyboard in total. It’s actually bigger than the surface pro trackpad. It was very responsive.

I don’t have big hands, so I could imagine actually getting real work done on this keyboard. I wish it had a detachable clamshell option as well though. I’m not sure if this device would be easier to use in the lap, since the whole footprint is smaller. It could help. When I tried out the surface pro a few years ago, I was not a fan of the kickstand when using it in ones lap (which is how I often use my laptop).

The magnetic connection for the pen worked just as well as it did on the surface book, which is probably good enough to keep the pen accessible while walking out and about, talking with clients on site, etc.

Edit-
    I admit, I’m still sort of concerned about using a device so small as a tablet in the field, running windows. Trying to tap buttons and all that jazz. I can imagine that I would want to run everything at a really large scale. Windows is still not optimized to run at this size as a touchscreen device. Opinions?

One thing I really liked doing on the surface book is finally being able to tap the microphone button and dictate to the tablet instead of having to use the touchscreen keyboard. That was nice, and when I really expect from a tablet operating system. This windows have Swipe? I use it all the time on android and it would be nice to use on a Windows device too.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Let me tell you - from a person who fails when trying to use my GB12 or iPP 10.5 on my lap with origami garbage, the kickstand and Surface Keyboard (Pro or Go) is heaven sent.

HeavyHanded and JoeS like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Daniel Rubino mighty arm.
    Uh, and also a Surface Go review. :p

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Somebody's been peaking in the Christmas presents again...

As for @JoeS 's comment - your return deadline is 30 days, and I'd be surprised LTE is announced, much less shipping, before Labor Day - more like closer to Columbus Day...

JoeS likes this.
  7. kivuli

kivuli Pen Pal - Newbie

I preordered a Go and keyboard from Best Buy, and they only have shipped the Unit itself, not the keyboard. I got an email saying the keyboard is delayed. Maybe this is a similar issue? Anyways, need to swing by a local BB after work and see if I can get one local, since the keyboards for the other SP's won't fit...

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

This is a strange topic.

Swype writing was present on the latest insider build before this last major update. I'm certain it was also present when I bought the Surface Book 2 months ago, then suddenly one day it completely disappeared.
    I know it's currently available again in the Insider Preview so I hope it gets back again in a short time.

bloodycape likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Fastest SSD in any Surface device? (read 1185mb/s & write 546mb/s) 10 times faster than the eMMC in the Surface 3. The reviews of the Go have been absolutely glowing.

10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Arg!