Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, so it's dog slow, big deal. As if you're only going to carry this if you need power.

I just sort of want to see how it get's along with my iPad. Should be fun to watch (maybe they will bond?......right :D

Note: Intel is smart to call it Pentium, as no one will expect much from it. Genius. Combine this with the huge bezels, and the 'Go' label, it will fit right in with beach balls, and boom boxes.

See you at BB :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is what you call a “lifestyle” reviewer. They may warm over the press release to add a professional air to their reviews (“doh, I can read fancy sounding specs!”). They will also have some subjective goobley gook of them saying just how amazing it is said in a thousand and one different ways. But mostly it is about pretty pictures and pretty prose without any substance to speak of. In this regard, iJustine is the epitome of your new age lifestyle reviewer. It is painful to see so many adults relying on her advice for purchase decisions.

Telstar1948, djas, dellaster and 2 others like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The irony is the reviewers who claim sluggish performance have yet to cite one cheaper tablet with better performance. One reviewer in particular mentioned getting a cheaper tablet that is faster and removing the crapware but he could not cite a specific model. Hmm... if he is referring to either Android or Windows, none of the ARM or Atom-powered tablets come close in CPU performance. Trust me: I have looked through them and tested them running tests in store and there is nothing that comes close. In web browsing, for example, SunSpider will show at least double (often triple to quadruple) faster responsiveness on the Go compared to any of the cheaper offerings.

Telstar1948 and Azzart like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Some collected observations:

WindowsCentral mentions 7-8hrs of battery which is fine, and 435 nits brightness, which is great.

They claim that the ports are perfect, but I'd have liked to see the ole USB type-A on there as well at least for this first gen Go.

Apparently you can charge it with 24W+ USB-C chargers, so if your external battery can deliver that, you're probably good to go. Nice.

Surprise: it has better graphics performance than my m3 SP4! Grrr

Geekbench 4 results from WinCentral:

upload_2018-8-2_8-14-6.png

sonichedgehog360 and alaskajoel like this.
  5. Mac jones

Shiite, I missed the $50 off thing at BB. Do they deal? I mean, will they knock off tax with a price match (which really isn't a price match, but WTF). Maybe it depends on the Geek iI get. I could Geek shop there.....hmm

But I'm excited. This is TRULY a toy purchase. I should get some candy while i'm at it :)

JoeS likes this.
  6. crp852

crp852 Pen Pal - Newbie

What, no olive oil? Animals!

I'm wondering as well. And, my S3 has yellow banding on 2 sides from when I let my son use it at school & the case got bent from being in his backpack.....

7. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

From Bronsky's S3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HedgeHog's SG:

CrystalDiskMark:
    [​IMG]

AnTuTu:
    [​IMG]

My Surface Book 10.6 4gb/64gb

Crystal Disk:
    [​IMG]

AnTuTu
    [​IMG]

This would be an instant buy for me if the Surface Go used a core m3. I feel my Book 10.6 is already underpowered in CPU tasks. Though, the Pentium seems to do a great job of splitting the difference between the older S3 Atom and the Book 10.6 core m3.

dellaster and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

To add the Geekbench 4.0 results from my book 10.6:

[​IMG]

To be clear, there are plenty of other fantastic reasons to get the Surface Go. CPU performance just isn't one of its best strengths.

9. Mac jones

This thread is quiet. Good timing :D

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Some comments on the commentators:

Please quit the b#!$%ing about:
    • *PRICE: iPad Pro 10.5 with 64gb SSD ($649), Smart Keyboard ($159), and Apple Pencil ($99), cough up $907 and no SD card expansion!
    • Not in Box: the fact that keyboard and pen are not in the box - Apple doesn't do that either
    • Keyboard: It is so far superior to the Smart Keyboard that I can't do it justice
    • Pen: Not Wacom, but BETTER than Apple Pencil
    • Mashable: just change your name to Applebees already
    Other Observations:
    • You can use it with the 29W Apple USB-C charger (for iPhone X prisoners)
    • No Marvel Chip - YES
    • Performance is uniformly described as "good" but not Pro level; also taxed by embedded video
    • Bezels are wastefully fat - no way to avoid that observation - one I agree with
    @Bronsky is going to be SOOOOO happy

(and I still have my eye on the WinPro 10 8gb/256gb/LTE version myself)

*Update - for those who object to my comparison to the iPad Pro 10.5 (and I reject that objection because of the kickstand, memory expansion, and quality of the Surface Go screen) - New iPad is $429 for 128gb, Apple Pencil $99, Logitech keyboard $99 - so $627, and you do not have a real PC class OS