Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

The bezels really shake me out of my reverie every time I scroll past a photo in one of the launch articles :(
    I'm sorry but if the iPad can enjoy such slim bezels as a touch-only device then Surface Go could have as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm using the Surface Book 2: there's almost zero jittering while drawing slow, initial activation force is almost wacom emr level and latency is on a completely different level.
    It's so much better not only compared to the Sp3's I had, but also compared to the Surface Book first gen which was already a fair improvement compared to the earlier pen.
    Still not on par with the galaxy book though.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This picture pretty much says it all. It's what the wait was all about. While not perfect, sometimes good things come to those who wait … and hope.:vbbiggrin:

I'm wondering about the decision to enlarge the touchpad (which I almost never use) at the expense of the keyboard. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a bundle at the MS Store that includes 2 Years of Complete Care.

USB Charging is a nice feature. Now, when I replace my Galaxy Note 5, I can use a single charger on the road.

What is the latest dock? EBay is a miasma of factory systems.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You wouldn't by any chance be making this sneer at me, would you?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Having now seen all the release reports I'm fairly convinced this is not only a stopgap (and a very nice one at that), but is an indicator that Microsoft expected Windows on ARM to be farther along/better than it is. Surface Go could have been released as-is a year ago; there's nothing here that wasn't available in early 2017. This could have been introduced alongside their education event last May-- two years after Surface 3 and a natural time to update the entry-level Surface.

Nor are the surrounding market conditions or strategic imperatives markedly different than they were 18+ months ago; Chromebooks, iPads and iPad Pro were all there. No, I think they realized they'd be looking at a 4+ year gap if they waited for ARM and made a call to put this thing together as-is. And aside from the bezels it appears to be a damn fine piece of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

No sneer. Just a smile.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The angle the pic was taken from will exaggerate it a bit though (the Pro is angled closer). Still, it is significantly smaller. With the keyboard it weighs about as much as the Pro 3 did without keyboard.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bronsky likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmmmmm...so much for sleeping in this morning - I missed all the fun.

Thanks to @sonichedgehog360 , the Microsoft engineer introducing the Surface Go spilled the beans at the 3:55 mark:

"So that now brings us to the device experience..we chose to stay with the Intel architecture for the predictable performance whether using modern apps or full desktop software, making this a no compromise device..."

If that doesn't speak to the readiness and performance of WOA, nothing does. That could even explain the delay (and not killing) of the Surface Andromeda - it has to be an ARM device to make teh battery life and connectivity a reality.

Well played my friend - the wait was worth it. I'll bet your broke out in a happy dance this morning! All told, it looks like we finally have the Surface Air. That last field worker looked very much like he was using an iPad. I'm sure most of you have already been to the Surface Go for Business site, but if you haven't check it out (gotta LOVE THE KICKSTAND).

PS - this photo may have sealed the deal even for me (well, if and when they get 256gb/LTE):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018