Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Does Bitlocker encrypt the SD card in S Mode? If you have Pro in S Mode?

I'm somewhat amazed at the reception the Go is getting. If this site is any indication (and it often is not) Microsoft has a hit on its hands. Of course, I once said that about the HP Slate 500.:vbrolleyes:

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Since you're someone who knows a lot about windows, what would be the benefits of of staying in Windows 10 S? Does windows use less disk space that way.?

3. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't S modes give significant batter advantage. The main reason is for schools, business and kids. You wont have the fear of rogue apps/virus/non family friendly content.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, even if someone plans on using the full version of Office instead of the mobile versions, you can install desktop Office in S mode as well.

There's minor battery advantage in S mode only because you can't install Chrome, system services, things that run uncontrolled in the background, etc. If you didn't do those things on Pro, it'd be similar as well. But yeah, mainly it's about security.

S mode is actually enabled by a single registry switch. There's no difference in storage use.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

You can still BitLocker external drives using S Mode - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-pro-in-s-mode

Advantages listed in the link above :)

Yep - you can install via the O365 Store, but I'm chosing to use the Mobile for additional battery life on this device...

I plan on using the Go as my note taker and doc reader next to my SB2.

djas, Mindful Gadgets and Azzart like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Yes. No viruses from no exes being allowed to run, no registry edits being allowed, and no temporary file clutter lends to a cleaner, more compact system footprint in the file system. At this point, you can get practically everything you need to thrive on the Microsoft Store. For me, there is MusicBee, Notepad++, and even VidCoder on the Store now. The only barrier for entry for me is that Microsoft put the kabosh on game emulators being allowed on the Store and there is no Steam or GOG. If the game library could grow, I would run unhesitatingly in S Mode for my own usage.

Azzart likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You actually can edit the registry if you want in S mode. My Surface Pro 2 that I just use for Windows Insider testing purposes is in S mode, but there's a bunch of tweaks I like to make after every build upgrade. To edit the registry, you just need to boot in advanced startup options, select "disable driver signature enforcement", make your changes, and then reboot.

Obviously, it's possible to screw up your system badly this way, but that goes for any registry edits.

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Here is another hands-on that came out was published recently:

djas likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thirty Seconds (minutes) over Best Buy...
    • It is so small - obviously thicker, but otherwise the weight, form factor, balance are nearly indistinguishable from my iPP 10.5
    • The kickstand is TO DIE FOR
    • The keyboard is small, but it is far better than "serviceable" as some reviewers are saying - and if you have ever used the the iPP Smart Keyboard, the Surface Go keyboard is far superior, especially combined with the kickstand gives you a REAL laptop alternative
    • Screen is beautiful
    • Pen - well, its still a Surface Pen, but as good as my SB2 (remember - I DON'T DO ART)
    • Performance - not really enough time to tell anything, but felt snappy and loaded up half-dozen Edge windows OK (but I really don't like Edge).
    Now, for the tough questions...
    • It is significantly smaller than my GB12, but that means smaller, non-AMOLED screen
    • 1.66 vs 1.15 pounds - am I really concerned about that
    • GB12 keyboard is far better than SG (part is just more space, but keys are better)
    • WACOM (nuff said)
    • BUT that kickstand kicks origami's A$$
    One thing I learned (in spades) last week - I am TOO OLD to abandon File Manager and a hierarchical file system - uploading and opening PDF's was just too much work on the iPP 10.5

(Profound apologies to both Jimmy Doolittle and Spencer Tracy)...