Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I also got the chance to test the Go at 5th Ave MS Store yesterday.
    Did a CrystalDiskMark and the Sequential R/W was like 1387/558, which is pretty decent to me for this tiny device. Other aspects pretty much like nSP (pen, kickstand etc).

I also tested the performance a bit. Streaming YouTube 4K video as well as other 4K high bitrate videos seems good enough. I do see the sluggish with Edge when opening multiple tabs, but it is expected and within acceptance range. Temperature seems decent.

Can’t say too much about the final performance without using it personally for a prolonged time, so I’m doing a preorder at BBY this afternoon.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

An update to my test-drive of the Go: I went to a Best Buy this morning and, to make a long story short, I have probably verified that the Go does have tilt capability. Why "probably?" Because BB had the Go locked down in demo mode, so no access to Sketchpad, and they also had no pens out with the demo units! The sales rep said that they were "renovating their pens," whatever that was supposed to mean...?

However, since I am ever resourceful, I managed to borrow a pen from another sales rep who owns an nSP, and I used Paint 3D. Using the pencil tool, I was able to get a shading effect when I tilted the pen, but the effect was much more subtle than the effect using Sketchpad..! I also redrew 45° lines, and the lines seemed more steady, so I would say that "jaggliness" of the lines shouldn't be a big concern...

3. Mindful Gadgets

Mindful Gadgets Pen Pal - Newbie

Also went to test drive the surface go at the Microsoft Store. They had three 8GB/128GB versions there all running Windows 10 on S mode. I wasn't able to test the write and read speeds of the 128GB variant with CrystalDiskMark for some reason. It kept saying that it could not write file.

From the limited test I was able to do, the device didn't seem to slow down too much. The inking seems to be pretty smooth on Autodesk sketchbook with the surface pen. I didn't see any noticeable delay but I'm also no digital artist by any means. The keyboard itself was slightly cramped to be but usable to do word processing, but I would definitely not write a dissertation on this.

This thing is light and using it with one hand is great. Personally I think its the sweet spot for something to take with you on vacation or on the go (no pun intended). I'll probably preorder it also and push this thing to the limit. Pretty interested to see if this can do some light gaming, photoshop/lightroom, and light coding.

darkmagistric, lonaysta and Bronsky like this.
  4. lonaysta

I got that error message too, but somehow corrected after I restart the app and choose destination folder for test to user\documents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mindful Gadgets likes this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

This GO fella is pushing all the right buttons. Arg!

Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Awesome! In hand and in real world use, Go actually sounds like the true iPad competitor that Microsoft was aiming for from the beginning with the non-Pro Surface. I am excited to experience the Go for myself and contribute some performance metrics of some kind. So, I will try dropping by my local Best Buy early next week (probably Tuesday) and seeing what kinds of benchmakrs I can manage to run since the previously mentioned roadblock of S mode is likely present. Hopefully, I can at least temporally install AIDA64, AnTuTu, CrystalDiskMark, GFXBench, TabletMark and TouchXPRT (anyone else feel free to run these as well if you get the chance; the more data points, the better!) which are on the Store so we can get something of a feel of where this tablet lies in the sea of tablets. From @lonaysta ’s post, I am happy to see the 1500+/500+ MB/s read and write speeds for the SSD—that will be a quantum leap in perceptible system responsiveness for people coming from the Surface 3.

EDIT: I found this excellent series of hands-on videos on YouTube by user josher14:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Marty, djas and batty like this.
  7. lonaysta

Preordered mine. Best Buy store cannot do preorder, so I brought home the $300 GC and did the preorder online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It certainly is to the 10.5" iPad Pro price wise. It's probably around 40% cheaper. :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

At 5:00 onward it's visible the use of tilt using the Sketchpad.
    Here in Italy it launches at the end of August. A pity, I too wanted to give it a early try. :D

batty, sonichedgehog360 and djas like this.
  10. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

How many of you that are looking to purchase this will leave the Window S on it or upgrade to the Windows Pro?