Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't think it would shrink that much. A 10% screen area increase would drop the battery life by maybe 5% (rough estimate).

It would have forced them to redesign the keyboard prop-up mechanism though, and raised the price probably. Doesn't stop me from wanting a thinner bezel, but I get it.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I recently got the nSP myself....the i5/GB/Keyboard deal for $799.....and the Battery life I'm getting at full brightness is easily in the 4-6 hour range. In fact I find that my Galaxy Book 10.6 still gets better overall battery life then the nSP i5.

As far as the the Pro itself being chief competition for the Pro...while that will very likely end up being the case.....I have to disagree with that conceptually. Dropping the size from 10.8 to 10.0......really changed the game in that specific degree.

The footprint and overall size of the Go.....while making it a perfect travel/general use/media consumption device......I think it would serve as a poor Pro replacement. Part of what makes the Pro so attractive is its typing experience. It can perfectly fill the role of a persons laptop and the type cover is pretty damn good at typing on. And given how crappy Apple's keyboards have become.....I think the Surface's type cover is one of the best keyboards on the market. Between the 12-inch all purpose size screen and great keyboard, its a great device for Typing, writing, and Coding. Part of the reason why I got the nSP was because I wanted to get more into coding and I was using my Pro 3 for things like Code Academy.

having had some hands on time with the Go.....I really can't see it filling that purpose simply because of the size difference. Sites like Code academy split the screen into 3 segments (at this 3:2 ratio is already a slight issue)....on the Go's 10.0 inch screen......no thank you.....and the Keyboard.....while I could probably get used to it.....I could already tell the Go isn't a device I'd want to type a novel on. It can work in a pinch, or for light uses like writing a forum post......but I think people who opt for the Go instead of the Pro might find themselves quite disappointed if they maintain that mindset.

I do see it as a great secondary device however....like it would be a great little tablet to have in conjunction with a Surface Pro or Book2....like do your drawing/writing on the Pro/Book while having the Go playing Netlfix, youtube, or spotify. But as is the Surface Go is really....more of a halfway point between the Never released Surface Mini and the Surface 3.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    HeavyHanded likes this.
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

imo, I don't think the GO is meant for Surface Pro users. I think it is more for those comfortable with "small" tablets/PC. There's no incentive for Pro users to "downgrade" due to reasons mentioned above (typists, size, power etc)

I think it is more for people like me or @Bronsky, who are primarily inkers, who use their current S3 as digital notepads. The only reason I have a Type Cover is it provided as a bundled-corporate purchase and I use it as cover to protect the screen.

I inked all the time and I am very good at it. On the rare occassions when I need to use a keyboard and mouse is when I am at my desk connected to a monitor & full-sized keyboard & mouse.

In this scenario, the GO is perfect for me.It is an upgrade to the S3 across the board. I am so very tempted to get one as a personal purchase. But wants & needs are two separate issues :)

Please keep the first impressions & hand-ons coming. I so very enjoy reading other people's opinions & thoughts on TabletPC & it's usage.

Telstar1948 and HeavyHanded like this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

What kind of battery are you getting out of your GB10? Most reviews I saw said the GB10 could have been better.

I agree conceptually it's not, but price wise it's getting close, especially as you said you got the i5 with 8gb for $799(it's even lower now at $750 with the silver @ keyboard BB). I had a similar dilemma about a decade ago deciding between the Sony Vaio TT and Vaio Z. There was like $200 difference at the time on amazon, but ultimately the TT won out for having about an hour more of battery life(ulv C2D vs standard C2D), and smaller size(it was very close to being netbook size). The only difference here would be the Go and the Pro may have the same battery life, unfortunately.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

To use a 3-hour life drawing class as a frame of reference.....50-75% brightness....wifi off.....bluetooth on (for surface dial)....drawing nonstop in Clip Studio Paint, after 3 hours, my Battery will typically be anywhere from 40-50% left. One time I used full screen brightness, and after 3 hours it was around 30% left.

Under those same paramaters with the i5 nSP....at 50-75% brightness after 3 hours, my battery was around 25% left.

HeavyHanded and WillAdams like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Do I believe in love at first sight? I guess I do.

Stopped by one of my local BestBuys to see if they had a Go on display. As I approached the Microsoft Surface table, I was struck by the size of the Go. It was significantly smaller than my Surface 3. The Go seemed petite compared to the S3, which is small in its own right when compared to the 12" Pros and Pro clones.

[​IMG]

Just look at how much smaller it is next to the S3.

The display on the Go is actually a bit brighter than the display on the S3, which was the best display I had seen in a 10" tablet at the time I purchased mine three years ago. The only other display to rival it on a 10" device that I have seen is the Galaxy Book 10.6".

The Go is much more of a tablet than the S3. It feels much smaller and lighter. Whoever said it felt almost as small as an 8" tablet was right on the money. I would much rather do my casual reading on a Go than an S3.

Build quality on the Go is first rate. The fully articulating kickstand on a tablet this small is killer.

Although performance on the Go is obviously an upgrade from the S3, it is subtle. Microsoft Word opens in about the same amount of time on both devices (both my S3 and the 64GB Go had eMMC's). But, web navigation is much faster on the Go. In large part, I think it is more the result of the better graphics of the Pentium, which stands a head and shoulders above the X7-Z8700 Atom's anemic gpu. The display model was a 64GB eMMC, which didn't impress me with its loading speed. I think the SSD will add another dimension to the Go.

In all, it is a worthy improvement to a great little device. The only real obvious mistake Microsoft made is the keyboard. It is small. A lot smaller than it looks. If you don't have smallish hands (like me) you might want to try the KB for awhile before deciding to buy one of these. I think Microsoft should have stayed with the large island keys of the original Surface 3. They were far more functional than a smallish imitation of the larger SP keyboard. I'm hoping that, with time, as happened with the 8" HP Slate keyboard, I will become more fluent with the Go's KB.

Inking on the Go is smoother than on my S3.

But, I did not sense any difference between my SP4 pen and the SP2017 pens available at the BB.

I like the Go. I like it so much that I can't imagine not getting the LTE version. The BB sales rep had no idea when to expect the LTE versions but even he said he was waiting for one.

I'm looking forward to replacing my aging S3. Microsoft made a worthy successor. I can't wait to get mine. I'm also looking forward to seeing some performance reviews but the Pentium feels fine to me.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  7. Mytabletacct

Mytabletacct Pen Pal - Newbie

Which kickstand cover? Can you share the link? A kickstand would make the GalaxyBook 10.6 almost perfect.

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

@Bronsky: Thank you so much for the great hands-on and demo. It is frustrating to watch professional journalists doing hands-on not talk about the inking aspect of pen computing. They hold the pen but do not use it to ink. Very annoying.

That inking you did on OneNote looks and feels very fluid and smooth. Arg! Must resist.... :)

JoeS and Bronsky like this.
  9. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm just glad they made this, as in the past buying Surface has been all good, but buying the more ubiquitous Samsung stuff, although great, has made me hesitate on more than one occasion.

This is a no-brainer. To return a Surface? unlikely :D

My only thought now is, will I want to upgrade from the base model eventually (or how long that will take). But like someone mentioned here, things are different these days regarding that.

We shall see.

Note: I did have a SP3 fail on me, which was odd. I'm thinking i'm not alone.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  10. darkmagistric

It’s not a cover
    But this thing...Amazon has no shortage of tablet stands/holder.....this one however has significant width and perfectly accommodates a 10 inch tablet like the Galaxy Book. The only flaw is that the tablet isn’t locked in place...so much as just resting on the Kickstand. So from a practical standpoint....this is great for desk use....but a bumpy bus/train ride or a turbulance filled flight....I’m not so sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-O...qid=1532765259&sr=8-191&keywords=Tablet+stand