Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Well, I officially killed my Surface Go. About 8 months ago I dropped it on the floor and created a spider web crack on the screen. I kept using it. Last week I dropped it again off my shelving unit (about a 1 ft drop) and busted the screen with gaping holes. So I ordered a replacement screen and thought I could do it. Uh, no. Darn.... I heated it and it pretty much splintered with glass shards all over my dining room. In the removal of what was left I tore through ribbon cables so it will not even boot up anymore. I know...whah, whah, whah….

As I contemplate a new M3/256GB/LTE business Surface Go 2 I have temporarily pressed my old Surface 3 back into service. $850 is a lot to spend on a new machine right before the holiday season.

dstrauss, JoeS, Bronsky and 1 other person like this.
  2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry for your loss, next time put a screen protector on it. :vbwink:
    I have a glass screen protector on my Pro 1 and can still use the pen on it but also dropped it from a table etc.
    Surfaces are well build but their screens are relatively weak so imo a screen protector (or cover that protects the screen) is almost mandatory if you do not want to carry it like a baby.

Ps: There are some cheap Surface Pro clones from Dell/HP/Lenovo if you do not mind buying refurbished.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I will do that on my replacement. I can tell everyone that my Elite X2 screen and my Surface Go screen are night and day different. The Go is a flimsy little thing and it is obvious that it needed to be glued around the edge to keep it stiff. My gosh that replacement screen is thin, brittle, and flimsy. The replacement is going to get a GLASS Protector!

Bronsky likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Or if you don't like screen protectors, get MS Complete. I personally like the peace of mind.

bloodycape likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Nobody is a bigger fan of MS Complete Care. But, with the closure of the MS Stores, it is far less attractive to me than before. The conveneince of being able to take a broken unit to the store and come home with a replacement was priceless.

bloodycape, Chris_Kez, JoeS and 3 others like this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We've heard informally that sometime early 2021, they will extend the swap option with MS complete to at least some Best Buy stores.

Chris_Kez and JoeS like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That would be great.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, yeah good alternative for US buyers too. Although I am wary of warranty of the laptop manufacturer/designer itself, prefer buying from a good local shop (also faster repair / replacement). Perhaps a difference between US and Europe.