Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

You are not alone. I too did the update (non-LTE GO) and it's been a disaster! 3 tries to boot needing the Bitlocker recovery key. Successful only after removing the 256GB microSD.

Then things proceeded -- somewhat. After rebooting twice, the microSD card is "read only."

I'm now trying to change that with diskpart (which freezes).

I am a VERY unhappy camper right now!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    dellaster and JoeS like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...You are not alone...>>

@rabilancia : Sorry to hear. I am also seeing the bitlocker issue...

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

“Likes” given for the value of the warnings. Sorry you guys have to put up with yet another Microsoft Update SNAFU. :mad:

JoeS likes this.
  4. Steve S

I skipped the Bitlocker screen and selected "Go to Windows."

That seemed to have sidestepped the problem. Note, however, that I don't typically have Bitlocker enabled...

5. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I checked my GO which has been sitting idle for a while and it required a bunch of updates. I too ran into the Bitlocker issue and bypassed it, turning off Bitlocker once in Windows. I have no idea why I had left it running and immediately removed it from my other Surface products as I am retired so it is not really necessary. Ran the update again and borrowed the SIM from my GO2 and it worked immediately. Whew! I am running the 2004 version of Pro on this unit.

Terry

6. rabilancia

rabilancia Pen Pal - Newbie

Further update: I am back up and running albeit without my 256GB Samsung Evo microSD card. VERY, VERY strangely, the card somehow went into "read only" mode. I have tried to remove the "read only" setting using DISKPART without success. I have everything on the card backed up, so I tried formatting the card--also without success. The card is not readable on other PCs as well. I'm not a believer in coincidences, hence I suspect that the card was somehow damaged during the update.

Oh well, now to Samsung support to get a replacement.

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Go LTE was updated a couple of days ago. It needed a restart that it did not ask to do it, but some components had issues. This is why I decided to reboot.

I have not tested my LTE. will see.

I have always bitlocker deactivated. We have had in the past many issues with bitlocker during upgrade. And it is not mandatory for my usage.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

All of this makes me wonder if I should be turning off bitlocker when I update my Gp2 just to be safe?

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It might be a bit on the over cautious side, however the only real downside is the additional time and effort involved. One of our customers that is a dell shop does exactly that due to issues like described here including losing access to external drives and sd cards.

MS says it shouldn't matter, but even there on of mS systems engineers told me that he removes his micro sd card and external drives before he updates.

10. Steve S

<<...All of this makes me wonder if I should be turning off bitlocker when I update my Gp2 just to be safe?..>>

May not be necessary; your Go 2 likely won't get the same types of updates...

<<...on of mS systems engineers told me that he removes his micro sd card and external drives before he updates...>>

I admit that I have removed my SD cards sometimes (never have external drives connected unless I'm using them; otherwise, what's the point of the air gap?) but I seldom do that any more and don't seem to have any problems. I checked the SD card in my Go LTE last night and it seems to be OK...