Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For performance I can chip in something.
    I have the Lenovo Yoga Book C930 with the 7y54, 4gb RAM and a 256 GB NVME SSD.
    While I have to be careful with the memory, it performs as well as the I5-7200 I have in the Lenovo Yoga 520 I have been given by the company.
    And I'm developing client server applications with SQL database connections.

If you don't do video editing or something that does continuous stress, it is really good.
    And most of us don't need that as we have burst use of the cpu.

JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok ,my wish list for the Go which despite some of the ways I've dinged it, I think is a great device which hits a lot of the marks for business and engaged consumers like the TPCR crowd.

Core Y series processors- This is really the evolution of the what the m line was supposed to be anyway and I'd like to see a low, mid and high end option. This also sidesteps the significant X86 emulation issues that have been a barrier to the Pro X in our customers

16GB RAM option - it doesn't benefit all but for a certain subset that do certain things (like me) such as virtual machines or large database sorts, there is no substitute for extra RAM

Two USBC ports. I'd give up the surface connector for it as would most of my customers

~10.5 inch display in the overall same size factor as the current go. I know it's as much an aesthetic thing as anything, but big bezels make the tablet look old and at least for me reduce the immersion factor when viewing content. It also would make it much more competitive with the iPad which MS has said over and over that they consider the primary competition..

The new pen and digitizer and new style type cover introduced in the Pro X. Yes for whatever reason, MS hasn't exploited the potential new functionality yet, but I still think its coming. And PS at least in our testing, the pro x seems to be slightly more precise and have somewhat improved palm rejection compared to the regular pro

dstrauss, sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I see what you did there..

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Not sure why MS is going with the 8th Gen Y processor, One Netbook is using 10th Gen in their Mix line already.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If I had to guess probably Price.....I'm sure Microsoft will make some big show of how its a custom 8th Gen Y processor.....fine tuned by Intel exclusively for the Go2, when really Intel probably just wanted to clear old processor stock and cut Microsoft a cheap deal to finish off the 8th gen Y supply.

Also if I'm not mistaken....aren't those 10th gen One Netbooks alot more money then what the GO 2 will likely be? I mean on geekbuying the i3-10110Y One-netbook is $799 and the Core i5-10210Y options are in the $1000 range.

There also the matter of the base TDP being raised from 5w to 7w or 9w depending on the core. A minor power bump, but one that would still effect the overall battery life.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

They cost significantly more. Yet I have heard of many people complaining about build quality issues. To top it off, when they submit for warranty work, they have expensive shipping and long, months long repair windows. I am not going to buy any expensive Chinese-manufacturer tablets because of this level of craftsmanship and warranty support.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  7. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4.5w to 7w is not only effecting the battery life, but thermos as well.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. Lenovo was my last hope for some competition in the 10" tablet space. But, with the evolution of the Note series phone into a penabled fold, it may very well take over all of my mobile note-taking needs, including annotation of larger documents and reading larger files. At that point, I could see the Go become more of a stay-at-home device which would defeat the purpose of having such a light and portable device. I could rejoin the mainstream at that point, get a bit larger display and more power (such as a fanless I5) for nearly the same money, giving up the extra portability of the 10" device. It's not the first time I have wound up in an evolutionary dead-end in the tech world.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Boy am I familiar with that feeling....
    Amiga, Newton, Palm Pilot, Palm Treo, HP 95LX, Blackberry (that one hurts most) LG smart tv....

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Me too.:newpalm: I absolutely loved my Blackberries (yes, plural … I could not let go). Palm pilot was another favorite.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.