Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Liked for the battery life claim, disliked for the performance claim. Seriously, single digits? That's like at most... 9% more! That would be very disappointing. I'm hoping at least the increased burst (?) performance would still have a major positive impact on the experience.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

And in your heart of hearts you KNOW that a 6% increase would be rounded up to 10%.

dstrauss likes this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I must disagree. The Pentium is significantly slower since it has no boost clocks, less than half the maximum possible clock speed (1.6 GHz versus 3.4 GHz), and therefore significantly lower performance. I mentioned this years ago when I was initially bummed when the first Go didn’t use Core M3/Core i3-xxxxY. It’s actually nowhere near a single digit percentage improvement, but more, much more. It’s about a 80% jump in single-threaded performance and a 60% jump in multithreaded performance in Geekbench and even better in PassMark. It is this versus this:
    upload_2020-4-25_21-2-42.png
    upload_2020-4-25_21-3-20.png

And this too for good measure:
    upload_2020-4-26_1-8-8.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-26_1-9-46.png

See here:
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10362493
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15417844
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+4415Y+@+1.60GHz&id=3300
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+m3-8100Y+%40+1.10GHz&id=3367

Here is a relevant discussion comparing the GPD P2 Max, a device bearing the Core m3-8100Y, with the Surface Go:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GPDPocket/comments/d03wds/cpus_gpd_p2_max_vs_surface_go_ie_intel_m3_8100y/

They are not even in the same ballpark. Now @Bronsky has even more reason to find his Go 1 slow as his waits and hopes turn into an order and ownership. ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    nnthemperor, desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope these play out in the real world. I know for me a performance boost would make it a better solution for me personally as well as some customers.

But; two big unknowns to all this. First is that these results are not from the chip inside the Go housing which has significant thermal constraints. Not to mention we are guessing which chip MS may use. After all the Pentium gold came as somewhat of a surprise. OTOH a new display could allow MS to tweak the housing too.

Second both from customers and from MS sources themselves. the biggest complaint by a large margin is battery life.

This speaks to two things. I can definitely see a scenario where MS would skew the design toward battery life vs raw performance. They already do that somewhat with the current surface book 2 where both the processor and the GPU are tuned more toward better battery.

Additionally I think I've talked about "good enough" performance being a big factor especially when combined with the "magic price point" of ~$1000 fully kitted out. The current Go hit those marks quite well which is why it sold well in corporate.

Again these are my speculations combined with distillations of things I've heard from more inside sources that are possibly in positions to know.

Last but not least, intel with core m (although we've heard that name is going away) has again turned it's focus to power consumption. I think that's a response to the perceived threat of WOA devices which with the exception of the Pro X have outstanding battery life.

BTW: With the lockdown have you noticed how the day of the week isn't as meaningful? I normally don't read here on the weekends, but there you go :) My $.02 for the day

PS: From the same aforementioned sources we are hearing about significantly improved LTE both in power consumption and speed. The current model is mediocre on both.

PPS: The wide ability to "turbo up" the M series chips is a reason to hope and definitely is not something that's a big feature of the gold.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One last thing and I'm done for the day:)

From those same sources, we've heard that an intel based surface go 2 is a "Plan B" device and that original intent was for it to be a WOA device.

If you remember mid 2019 that was the consensus speculation, which then subsequently died down after the Pro X release.

So related to that allegedly, the Go2 was going to be a scaled down smaller version of the Pro X.

if you also remember , QUALCOMM announced some lower end WOA based chips that were forthcoming as soon as Q4 2019. So far they haven't materialized and in fact the 700 series looks like it was repositioned as a mid range Android phone chip.

The murmurs were that as MS finalized design and readied release of the Pro X they knew that x86 emulation was way below expectation and hype (remember core I levels of performance?)

Additionally a new display would imply support for a redesigned Go so possibly the bigger display is what survived of that?

Again this is all highly speculative and rumor based, but there you go.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...BTW: With the lockdown have you noticed how the day of the week isn't as meaningful?..>>

Days.jpg

7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

5+ months into the SPX, the bump for SGo2 just isn't enough to get my wallet open. With Neo in the wings and even assuming LTE is available day 1, it won't beat battery life & I've gotten used to having the slim pen tucked away.

Et bene tecum Bronsky.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

For my needs, the M3 option is the superior option. Particularly if MS was considering anything other than the frontline ARM CPU in the Go.

Hopefully, the new Go gets a faster SSD that does not bog down working encrypted like generation 1. Faster RAM and a turbo capable CPU will surely add to any improvements that the drive will add.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I find it interesting that because Bronsky is the only one among us to find the nirvana of 'the one device', that has ironically left him completely at the mercy of MS to iterate it. :p

He now is an 'Apple-like hell' where you have exactly one choice every cycle, and must rationalize every morsel and minor spec bump the OEM cares to toss your way.

I say this all in good humour of course, @Bronsky. ;) After finding your perfect device, this is all a very logical and natural state of affairs. Just amusing that everything somehow becomes a double-edged sword for us TPCRers.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The murmurs were that as MS finalized design and readied release of the Pro X they knew that x86 emulation was way below expectation and hype...>>

Speaking about products that might have been a bit over-hyped...

Fry Pan.jpg

dstrauss likes this.