Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for the info. From the video that you linked:
    - Individually color calibrated screens
    - USB-C supports video and power
    - Full continuous kickstand position range
    - Optically bonded glass, unlike the dreaded laminated display on the cheapest iPad model
    - NFC support
    - Windows Hello IR camera
    - Tilt support on the pen
    - Power supply half the size of standard Surface charger
    - 2 hours to reach full charge
    - plus (from WinCentral) twice as fast CPU compared to Surface 3, and 2.5x as fast graphics

All in all a very nice device. I was disappointed that it used eMMC, but it turns out this is only on the lowest end model, see post below. Great!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    sonichedgehog360 and bloodycape like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

eMMC is for the 64 GB entry level option only while NVMe SSD is for the higher 128 GB and 256 GB storage capacities, pieced together from two bits of information. First, the video I shared informs that NVMe SSD storage is an option. Second, the news mediawas informed that the entry level model is eMMC while the higher capacities configurations are SSD. In fact, after receiving the video from a commenter to the article on AnandTech, Brett House has updated his article to reflect that SSD is NVMe-type.

Source:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13061/microsoft-announces-the-surface-go-smaller-and-less-expensive

JoeS likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Those Bastards.....August 2nd is literally the day I leave.

Other food for thought......2 really interesting little pieces of info from the Thurrout article.
    "Surface Go is also compatible with the Surface Pen, which remains an optional extra purchase. However, when I asked, I was told that Surface Go does not include the Pixelsense Accelerator chip found in Surface Pro and Surface Book 2. That said, it still supports 4096 levels of pressure and tilt."

Prior to a week ago......for even thinking of doing light art on the device.....this bit of info would have scared me.....but now having a nSP from a Pro3.......I feel pretty confident in saying that Pixelsense Accelerator is pretty freakin useless. At least in aiding in the drawing experience.

And regarding future Surface Pros....with rumors of a Radically redesigned Pro 6.

"It is also the thinnest Surface PC that Microsoft has ever made, and I was shown how they’re going to have to start rethinking the kickstand if they wish to get any thinner. They are literally running into the limits of how thin a Surface can be, given that kickstand and the width of a headphone port."

4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good to know it's not emmc for the 128gb+ models, but saddened over the lack of a USB-A port.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

WOW what a huge huge bezel!!!
    WTF MS we are not earlier current decade.

As first reaction seeing for first time this proposal.

Pass
    Just DOA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. JoeS

Nice tidbit from Engadget: "instead of being completely flat, every key is slightly curved in the middle, making it easier for your fingers to hit them."

Nice! Scalloped keys on a Surface Device, glad they're taking into account the small minority of people that don't have flat fingertips.

7. darkmagistric

Are you really that surprised? If anything Microsoft is way way overdue on switching to USB-C. Like most of us were kind of expecting this to be case from the get go. I also wouldn't be surprised if all future Surface Products....Pros, Books, Laptops, (not the Studio probably) will probably drop USB Type A as well.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am as I thought they'd give us USB-C for charging & USB-A for everything else.

Do we know the size of the battery? Does MS still offer a trade in program so I can turn in my S3 for a discount on this? Anyone think they may go on sale during the holiday season(maybe a $50 price drop)?

9. JoeS

I didn't quite realize how much smaller this is than the Surface Pro 4. I mean look at this.. :cool:

[​IMG]

Kumabjorn, Mesosphere and bloodycape like this.
  10. darkmagistric

They still offer the Trade in Program. Just last week I traded in my Surface Pro 3 i5/8GB/256GB in towards the current Surface Pro.
    They gave me $205 for it. (which basically covered Tax and the 2 year Protection Plan). It just has to turn on, boot into Windows (Bios doesn't count) and hold a battery charge. No clue what they'll give you for the Surface 3 though. No idea on a potential price drop for the holidays....but for something minor like $50....I wouldn't bother waiting.

Bronsky likes this.