Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, so if this is true, we have:
    - a (semi) budget version
    - a snappy performance version (/nice turbo clocks on the m core), but perhaps worse battery life

That makes me wonder if MS will also release an ARM version considering that would fit well with these other versions as the version with the better battery life; maybe even the LTE version considering Qualcomms LTE is supposed to be better than Intels LTE (according to WC at least).

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What they really need to do is shrink the motherboard and stuff that puppy FULL of battery - I know they want to stay in the "magical" 1# territory, but longevity was one of the SG weak suites...

Tams, JoeS and WillAdams like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't see an ARM version in the works. Battery drain should be better on an 8th generation M series CPU than the Pentium Gold 4415Y, which is a rebadged 6th Generation core I believe. My guess is that it'll be close to the 4415Y. Faster Hard drive is a plus. LTE version at release and I'm all in for an LTE-M3 model.:hi:

Wonder if they'll try to bundle it with the new pen or make a place in the keyboard to store it?

daddyfish likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope to god Microsoft is toward thinking enough with both the Go 2 and Book 3 from a design perspective. The Go needs to be both thinner and have its bezels reduced....and both the Go2 and Book 3 should have built in keyboard docks for the slim pen.

daddyfish and WillAdams like this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, would be a nice bonus but I don't want the Go to become heavy because of that, its weight is what makes it unique as a W10 device.

, that would be nice, slightly underclock/volt the cpu and the battery would be good enough.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can attest to the fact that Alcantara can stand up to repeated Lysollings. Haven't tried the bleach yet.

dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  8. dstrauss

Somehow I missed this part of your comment - maybe they will adopt that solution for all the Type Cover devices - THAT would be sweet.

9. dstrauss

If you want to see something unbelievable, go to the 1:28:00 on yesterday's Windows Weekly and watch Paul Thurrott GUSH about the quality of mouse support on the iPad and how the low end iPad, with a third party keyboard/trackpad, could own the market.

https://www.twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly/episodes/665?autostart=false

He said he didn't even care, and it was irrelevant, that it took them 10 years. In all honesty, I've never seen Thurrott praise anything Apple, at least not extremely grudgingly. This is a bit scary.

PS - I've been using a Logitech Ultrathin Mouse with mine and it is good, but the text cursor (bar) doesn't work consistently in Pages or Word. For now you still have to click on a word and then drag the handles - in Outlook it works perfectly like a regular mouse in Windows to select and drag text.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

The other day someone scrolled through a folder of pictures on a mac, and I just realized how god awful windows explorer is by comparison. Not to mention this schizophrenic control panel / "modern" settings panel situation that Windows 10 has going on. If I wasn't tied to Windows for a bunch of scientific software, I would be tempted to jump ship.