Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I know it is fruits and vegetables comparison, but if you can get 12gb/512gb in a Samsung Note 10 Plus, why not on a Surface Go 2?

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In that case, I'm not sure about the storage but more RAM with Android makes a tangibly better user experience since basically the more RAM you have the more your open/frequently used apps stay in RAM versus being loaded from storage.

It's actually a legacy of windows to this day that the OS purges RAM, first to the swap swap file and then to standard storage to preserve precious RAM (aka the 640k days). Android for better or worse makes much better use of available RAM by keeping things resident.

Intriguingly, WOA acts more like Android in that regard, it's just the emulation sucks up so many resources you don't usually see it. But if you stick to native apps and leave a lot of apps open, you will see that switching between them is quite fast, noticeable quicker than x86 windows.

And BTW: The newer versions of some builds of Linux act that wy, even on x86. It's part of why Linux is running aways with the high end web server market.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Well, this guy says there will be an event in the Spring with a reveal of the Go 2 with a Pentium Gold in the entry model and a 'low level' M3 in the step up. See about 3:50.

Man this guy talks a lot without saying much at all. He must have graduated from sportscaster school and couldn't find a job!

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because a Note 10 Plus costed over a $1000.........and even then the 512GB was probablly emmc, not an SSD

But as is the PC market is pathetically....well pathetic when it comes to pricing configuration options.

The Surface Pro 5, 6, 7 (just as perfect examples) have all routinely had the $799 deal with for i5/8GB/128GB/ with Kickboard for now 3 generations in a row. Despite a 256GB SSD costing barley anything nowadays....like at Microcenter a 120GB SSD can be had for $20 bucks and a 240GB SSD can be had for $30 bucks.........yet comparing the price of the current Pro 7 bundles......$799 for i5/8GB/128GB.........and $999 for i5/8GB/256GB...........that's a $200 markup just for the additional 128GB of storage.....which probably costs them less then 10 bucks. Its just sucky market practices. Where as the price of SSD storage has gone considerably down in the past three years.....Tech Companies like Microsoft are treating the storage size/price very stagnantly.

Tams, dstrauss and lovelaptops like this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Well analyzed :) Of course MS could make a Go2 with, say, base, 8GB/256GB/m3 or slightly better, and at least 50% bigger battery without much engineering and, at most, a $650 base price and still earn the same profit margin in dollar terms. Sadly, they either/both have business reasons or corporate groupthink that prevents them from making and selling such a device that would, IMHO, increase Go sales by 100% + and delight the market and professional reviewers. Concession to MS: it would be investing (though minimally) in a platform that probably has only a 2-3 yr life cycle and a device that might discourage sales of their new, "futuristic" form factors - though for consumers it's a lose/lose: can't buy what want/need now (2015 technology), only alternative is: 1) wait, 2) buy likely functionally impaired (for at least 12 months) Neo/Duo devices at higher prices.

Glass down to 1/3 full. But I'm so jazzed by the enthusiasm amongst our forum buddies, truly. :hi::newpalm:

6. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or they are not using M2's but bga mounted ones.
    They are easier to integrate into a design, easier to cool, bat are way more expensive.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

even if the form factor of the storage is more expensive....the storage itself should be cheap to increase.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  9. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Note 10 Plus uses UFS 3.0.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Bronsky and Bishop like this.