Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think it will be a lot more successful than the SPX. The form factor is unique and likely to be attractive to those people looking for this experience. Too many took the”Pro” moniker as meaning this was just an always on Surface Pro, not realizing all the limitations of ARM. Should be even more successful than the Surface Go as not being just a smaller Surface Pro.

Marty likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That part worries me the most......I mean Microsoft and most of the other OEMs have pushed very hard from Windows 8 to 10 to make people rethink how they use PCs....from touch screens and pens now being on almost every device....and all sorts of form factors, Yogas, Flips, Kickstands/detachable keyboards.....yet.....99 out of 100 times....they are being used just as a regular laptop. I'm really just basing that off my own observations in the wild since I spend an obscene amount of time in coffee shops....and I see alot of Surface Pros and Books....but never in tablet or drawing mode. Heck I once even saw someone using a Cintiq Companion 2.....with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.....since i was using a Mobile Studio Pro....I started talking to him...and he was not an artist.....somehow his company had a Cintiq Companion 2 and he was using it effectively as his main laptop for work.

Like my fear with the Neo.....lets say it is a success.....sells well....and gets as widely adopted as the regular Surface Pro......despite all the ways you can use it....I have a nagging feeling that 99 out of 100 times.....it will probably be used in laptop mode.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The smaller 9" screen of the Neo will make it less desirable to use in laptop mode "99 out of 100 times." I see it being used more in the book form and folded form. It's more of a tablet than a laptop just like the iPad and unlike the other surface devices, and you don't see people use the iPad mostly with kb.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I see a lot of kids using iPads and Kindle Fires as tablets. I see a lot of adults with their iPad in a keyboard case balanced precariously on their laps. Source - waiting areas of kid's activities, I'm not cool anymore so I don't do the coffee shop thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nnthemperor, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Actually I see that quite a bit. IPads doubling as laptops in a clamshell/keyboard.

I know the feeling. My source is watching millennial attorneys at depositions taking notes, which are almost universally typed rather than handwritten.

nnthemperor, violajack and dstrauss like this.
  6. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, isn't the Go the most sold Surface, so in that sense most successful? (at least that is what I read on Windows Central, not sure if it is correct but sounds plausible with the low entry price).

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@daddyfish - you are right in the sense of mass enterprise orders, but not so much "in the wild" if you consider any of the places I visit "wild." In fact, I see far more HP's and Dells, followed by older MacBooks and Airs, then iPads, then Surface devices. Can't say I've ever seen a Surface laptop in the wild either.

@Bronsky, @nnthemperor, @violajack, @darkmagistric - you are all correct in your observations, but the Neo looks to be tramsformative. The 9" screen is small, but still usable in laptop "posture" (that will be the last time I use Panos' reference to postures - how millennial can you get) while still giving you the option to type, or better still, take handwritten notes while still looking a the document you are referring to in that deposition.

@Bronsky - the couple of times I've been in the deposition with the keyboarding iPad note taker, during a break they had no idea there was a program like OneNote where you can search the handwritten text, or choose to convert to text. They were interested, but it was clear they worked their way through law school typing notes the whole time. My son the law professor says it is rare to see a student in class without a laptop open in front of them. Seems a pity to this old school lawyer who had to use stone tablets and chisels.

I have NO PITY or SYMPATHY for all of you professing to "no longer being cool" - pity the poor fool who FINISHED law school before laptops and coffee shops were invented!

daddyfish and nnthemperor like this.
  8. darkmagistric

lol.....actually I do.......I see a lot of iPads....and almost always they are both rocking a keyboard cover and being used like such. Apples marketing of the iPad as an outright computer replacement seems to be working as evident by how many people I see who literally use it as such.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

I’d beg to differ...working on laptop (or drawing on a tablet pc) with your headphones plugged in.....sipping slowly your overpriced latte (no free refills) taking up Valuable table space while being all anti-social in generally what should be a social venue is far from what the cool people are doing there.

heck the cool kids have graduated from the coffee shop to the mid-day wine bar.....or the classy hotel lounge with an open office type of redesign more fitting to laptop warriors.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the mid-day wine bar.....or the classy hotel lounge with an open office type of redesign more fitting to laptop warriors...>>

So we're back in the 50s and 60s again...???

nnthemperor likes this.