Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sooner then later would make more sense for Microsoft.....even despite the budget distinction.....size wise.....a 10-inch Surface Go 2 would be probably close in physical size to the upcoming Surface Neo......the Neo uses two nine inch screens....so when folded up or used in laptop mode with its little keyboard.....space wise it would be just about the size of the current Go. Despite how Microsoft markets them.....I view both as secondary devices.....like they fill a role.....but wouldn’t really outright replace a surface Pro/Book/laptop......and given the size similarly....I think it would be folly for Microsoft to release a Go 2 anywhere near the launch of the Neo.....since I’m sure many would also view both products as filling that same secondary/other role......and thus it would be more of a ...“which do I get, a go2 or Neo?” kind of scenario for many. Releasing a Go 2 now....(more or less on its own) would help prevent it from competing directly with the Neo.

nnthemperor and WillAdams like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ran across this mini-dock when looking up iPad Pro accessories, but they also claim Surface Go compatibility - adds HDMI, USB-A and USB-C ports

Satechi Mobile Hub

WillAdams likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. dstrauss

This reinforces Thurrott's opinion that the Neo and other two screen devices are just Trojan Horses for Windows 10X. In other words, Windows 10X IS the future of Windows, but there will be substantial teething pains as they move us all to the native containers (and away from Win32) so pitch it as built for dual screen mobile devices (where it has more utility) and you can work out the kinks without the blowback that the Surface Pro X is generating.

Naming is so much more critical than I seem to recognize - what if the Surface Pro X had just been Surface, or even Surface A for "ARM" - instead of invoking the image that it is the equivalent of the Surface Pro line?

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This would be great for someone who had serious work to do at home.

Every day that passes without an upgraded CPU makes me more skeptical that it will happen. My guess is that nearly all of the current effort is going into the Neo.

7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think there will be any meaningful sales impact as a result of potential confusion. The Go will be at least half the price of the Neo, with an obviously dated design. Can both devices be used to do similar kinds of things? Sure. But they are going to appeal to very different customers. The $500 iPhone XR and the $1000 iPhone Pro have almost identical roles and functions, but very little overlap in terms of buyer bases.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In terms of your iPhone anology.....it’s still the same overall product with just different pricing tiers.....obviously anyone in the market for an iPhone would be present with that simple choice based more on budget then anything.

but in case of a Neo or Go 2......given how different the Neo is intended to be used.....its not really quite the same as saying it’s the next step up price wise from a Go 2. The Neos little magnetic overplayed keyboard might be a horrid experience compared the the Go 2’s keyboard cover....and the lack of a kickstand in the Neo might also prove a major annoyance to many. One of the biggest criticisms of the Surface Book is that it’s clipboard portion doesn’t have a kickstand......despite the Surface Pro and Surface Book being able to do most of the same things....the form factor can make or break the purchase.

and pricing is unknown on both ends.......given how he Surface Go has been quite popular with the enterprise/corporate market.....a potential Go 2 could be sporting a Surface Pro X styled makeover.........Microsoft might even drop the entire Go brand and repackage a Go 2 as simply a 10-inch Pro 8. They offer 13/15 size options for both the Book and Laptop line....So it’s quite likely they could do so with the Pro line as well. Add in bezel reductions....they could offer a Pro 8 with either an 11 inch or 13 inch size. Bottom line.....whatever device ends up fulfilling the role of the Go 2....might not be as budget oriented this time around.

9. dstrauss

I have real trouble seeing MS the SUrface Go 2 will be anything more than a spec bump or two over the original. The fact that Panos demoed the Neo and Duo a year before launch tips their hand pretty strongly that they are the future, not Surface Go. AS for the "postures" as MS calls them, I don't think opening the Neo and standing it on its edge (as you can with the ThinkPad Fold thanks to it's flimsy-looking flap in the back) is the use case they envision because it has that hinge down the middle. I'm sure they'll show it being used in that "posture" but as a 130 degree (wide book open) as a two screen device, not spanning across the screen with the hinge in the way.

I think my real point is that MS now sees the future of computing in the Jobsian car/truck metaphor - Neo for everyday computing needs with hopefully a better than iPad overall experience (more "productive" cars), and heavy iron (trucks) being the Surface laptops/desktops for professionals and enterprise drones.

PS - beware my signature disclaimer...

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious what do you think the reception will be for the Neo vs SPX?

I know you've been skeptical so far about the SPX, but I'm pretty sure many of the same complaints could be leveled at the Neo when it releases (perhaps even more so, due to the 1.0 version OS/UI).

In my opinion, recently MS is returning to the experimental nature of Surface—i.e. not expecting immediate success, but simply letting a new device form-factor mature over 2-3 generations, before seeing a larger reaction from the industry.

nnthemperor and Chris_Kez like this.