Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pro x should have been the Go 2, a capable companion device. That would have at least reduced the expectation of it as a work horse. The problem with the Pro x now is that Panos over-promised, but the device under-delivered.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Aspirationally I would agree with you. As a practical matter, the tyranny of two seems to be an immutable law of reality. No more fond of it than you are.

3. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, at first I thought you would be linking to a cheap HP windows detachable but you linked to a cheap hp laptop with no touchscreen or 2-1 mode at all, how does this even compare to something like the Pro X?
    I would guess for the most part the Pro X is expensive because of other factors besides the cpu (screen, body, design costs, Surface margin etc.), like a Surface Pro with a m core is still relatively expensive while it has a less premium screen.
    Also Acrobat kind of sucks :x (but I understand your point).

WillAdams likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

!!Help!!
    For some stupid reason I tried to enroll my SGo into the Insider program, but it wouldn't install, and now it's stuck in intermittent reboots.
    Tried to reset but just opening the windows update page in settings reboots the device.
    Anyone had this experience? Any advice?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm running Insider on my Go - Try booting into safe-mode and then roll-back. Another option would be download the ISO and do a clean install and then upgrade to the later builds.

19035 here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...d=_fv0f6hsiegkfthp3kk0sohzizm2xgfllvpwveicr00

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. nnthemperor

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well the final nail in the coffin for the Go as a corporate device for us is in today. I think I've relayed before that the pricing on the i3 based 4GB RAM 128GB SSD Pro with the black keyboard cover is only about $40 more than the 8GB RAM 128GB SSD Go.

We ran both machines through our own internal benchmarks and use tests and even though the Pro 7 only has 4GB RAM versus 8GB on the Go, the pro was faster in every single test. It varied from about 20% to 120% and cumulatively was about 39% faster overall.

So that coupled with a bigger display on the Pro 7 and being a more standardized form factor won the day. In fact the biggest complaint about the Go among staff was the small display compared to their previous system,.

And the Pro 7 i3 model still hits the magic $1000 fully kitted price point for us. We will still allow Go purchases but only with department head approval and only then if built in LTE is a hard requirement.

PS: Just to give some small basis to our testing, most of our apps do a great many relatively small read/write cycles to the disk. The speed of the SSD in the pro 7 is considerably faster than in the Go and one of things that contributes slower performance overall.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Bronsky, daddyfish, batty and 2 others like this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, I can imagine the Pro indeed being more interesting for most employees. Though am the only one the finds the 4gb version of the Go the most interesting for a secondary device / tablet? That version seems to be more balanced (spec wise) to me too.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

[​IMG]

FZelle and darkmagistric like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I think Microsoft should do....open up all Windows devices to be fully used as USB monitors......ala Apples Sidecar function. Windows 10 already has this function but it only works via wireless....and from my attempts it’s somewhat of a disaster. Performance is slow and laggy....and even connecting the devices can be such a hassle. Just make it so that you can USB-C to USB-C the Surface Go to the Surface Pro 7.....and that could give the Surface Go a new lease on life.

right now in my coding bootcamp....the class is majority windows, but there are 6 mac users in the class....I’m the only Windows user using a second monitor (the Asus Zen Touch)....But of the 6 Mac users....3 have an iPad alongside purely for sidecar purposes.

daddyfish and Bronsky like this.