Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel you Bruh.

Bronsky likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Back up and running thanks to Complete Care and Acronis. The Microsoft store was its usual efficient self. They had an exchange unit in stock. Acronis, after a few suspenseful moments and minor adjustments, restored the entire unit.

For some reason, Acronis would only work when booted from a thumb drive. It kept hanging up when run from the C Drive. I'm also having trouble reconnecting my Samsung Note 10 since the restoration. In all, though, I'm happy.

For me, Complete Care makes it possible to use a tablet the way I do. The whole idea of the tablet is to be out and in use while on the go, which is the time when they are most vulnerable. I assume my tablets are going to break.

BTW, the battery in the replacement unit is brand new with 0% wear.

dstrauss, Bishop, Marty and 3 others like this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

No upgrade to LTE, eh? All those comments wasted - who would intentionally break their $600 computer to get - the same $600 computer, after fighting with annoying Acronis for hours!

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I do have a brand new battery.:vbwink:

Bishop and lovelaptops like this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You scofflaw :D

alaskajoel and Bronsky like this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bronsky - Daniel Rubino is fighting for you:

Surface Go 2 With Snapdragon 7c/8c on ARM?

As Daniel says -

"The performance will be interesting. I don't expect the Snapdragon 7c to be a massive performer, but all it needs to do is beat the Intel Pentium Gold for price, battery, and performance. That's it. All three of those seem doable. Toss in some thinner bezels and some of that Surface Pro X design magic, and what's not love?"

Chris_Kez, nnthemperor, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Surface Go 2 With Snapdragon 7c/8c...>>

Personally, I don't see them doing this. With the rumor that Microsoft now realizes that x86 emulation is a bigger deal than they first anticipated, I don't know why they would issue another emulation-based device until they had shored up the Pro X with better market acceptance.

Unless you think that Rubio is secretly colluding with Microsoft to kill the Go...?!??

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Good, fast, cheap -- pick TWO

nnthemperor, Steve S and Bronsky like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bishop - NO - they should be able to do good, fast, and moderate - it doesn't have to be cheap. And despite my posting the musings of Rubino, it needs to be INTEL - compatibility should not have to be compromised. How many on this board would have paid a $200-$250 premium for a Surface Go "Business" SKU with a real processor, LTE, and more storage?

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FWIW, I'm more skeptical than usual about these new lower end Snapdragons. Not clear to me who they think the market will be especially when real world performance is likely to be at best high end Celeron level.

Especially when you consider something like the HP below, which we got for my father in law on sale yesterday for $149 and it includes a year of Office 365.

It's not something that folks here would use but for someone that primarily wants to use Outlook , word and the occasional you tube or Netflix, it's hard to argue the value proposition especially when it runs Acrobat at about the same speed as my $1250 Pro X,
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-14-La...ue-included-for-free-Natural-Silver/499637276

dstrauss likes this.