Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

:eek: Could it be that 2019 will NOT be the worst year in personal tech since 2018?

Bronsky likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I've never been able to figure out.....how did Samsung do it with the Galaxy Book 10.6?

The Galaxy Book 10.6......which included the Keyboard cover, & pen, with Core m3 4GB of Ram, and 64GB EMMC.....came to under $600

The 4GB/64EMM GO with Keyboard and Pen costs about the same. Maybe Samsung took a loss with the Keyboard and Pen (which in both cases, $200 is a gross overprice) compared to Microsoft....but if even Price was still a concern, a Core M3 in the 8GB/128GB Go model should have been possible from the get go at the $550 price point.

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Maybe that's why it was a dead-end design. Here, instead of a "new" CPU design (i.e., the renamed Pentium Gold) Microsoft will use a previous generation CPU, which they may be getting at a significant discount (particularly if they use it exclusively in the Go2). (BTW, I love the name Go2).

TBH, I almost don't care about the price … almost!:vbrolleyes:

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

On that bezel thing - it's NOT just aesthetics - it is a MASSIVE waste of space if you are using this device as a laptop - and frankly, how many people REALLY use a Surface Go as a tablet beyond note taking? You could squeeze 11" plus in that frame with skinny bezels...

nnthemperor and djas like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

All good points guys. Honestly, I asked cos it was mentioned. It is not a factor in my world :)

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another SGo with Intel means that MS is not confident with the development of WoA so far.
    Just thinking aloud.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. dstrauss

That's a great observation, because the original explanation of "Why Pentium?" was that Microsoft wanted no compromises with teh Surface Go - a non-ARM Surface Go 2 does underline that same argument. It could also be that x86 emulation IS ARM's weakest link and these are sold heavily into the enterprise market. I'm sure @Bronsky will be smiling in any event with an M3 processor...
    [​IMG]

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You might be right. We've heard through the grapevine that Lenovo has no plans for a successor to their WOS Yoga. Starting to look like a Samsung only club unfortunately

Too bad too. Thinking WOS is a high performance option is a mistake, but superb battery life and LTE is a useful trade off for lots of people.

And yet another initiative that gets hyped only to quickly wither by MS

EDIT: I wonder if there are some teething issues with the new 8CX? Samsung still hasn't announced a formal release date for the Book S yet.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    sonichedgehog360 and nnthemperor like this.
  10. dstrauss

I wonder if it is an 8cx teething issue, or a Microsoft pacifier (WOA) problem? I've never been a believer in emulation software, so you have to question the viability of WOA until Microsoft and the Big Four (Apple, Google, Amazon, and Adobe) deliver native ARM applications that are feature to feature DUPLICATES* of their x86 applications.

* I will temper that comment a bit - Apple needs to deliver the iTunes successor in a native version SUPERIOR to its x86 efforts...

nnthemperor likes this.