Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this Information. I will than use USB-C or charging using the SG Connector depending what power devices I carry.

Yes, but for the TP10 it was overdue to do a change... but I was waiting for a SG with LTE. Now I got one für 599€. That is a fair Price, at least to me.

Also Office 2019 works fine on the SG. I installed Office today, my SG is primary for Internet and writing, ....

At all after this short time I am still impressed. The type cover is well made, and typing is really good. The TP10 keyboard with the "rubber keys" was never good...

dstrauss, Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Thought I'd check to see if MS was able to get some more speed out of the SSD with bitlocker on.

[​IMG]

I guess not!

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I got to play with the new Samsung Book S again a bit more yesterday. This is a really nice laptop for traveling with the battery life and built in LTE. Plus the low weight makes you really want to carry it around.
    On the battery life front, they gave it to me early in the morning with about a 65% charge. It got used almost the entire work day and as of about 6:00 pm it still had a 35% charge

What I was also able to experience this time was how solidly this device feels. You'd suspect that the weight would make to feel slight or fragile in hand, but the opposite is true. I want to formally test it, but I'm becoming a fan.

Now if MS would just get on with it and release the new Go with the 8Cx!

BTW: Qualcomm missed a branding opportunity by deciding on WOS instead of WOA for their marketing. I could envision Keanu Reeves in his Neo garb using the various features and exclaiming "whoa..."

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a good approach. Also, the SG requires a 27w or greater USB-PD charger. I recommend getting a bit larger so that it can be used with the common hub/dock that provide PD power pass through. These hubs require a little bit of the power and any buss powered USB devices attached will also take some.

5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

6. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

I use for charging my SG using USB-C, my Dell Latitude 5175 charger (guess it is 30W) or my small QC3.0 and PD capable powerbank (Zendure A3PD Powerbank 10000mAh - 18W).
    I also have a PD capable USB-C charging device (ESR 30W Dual Port Charger,18W USB C Port with PD and QC3.0), but currently I did not test this device with my SG. I may check this in the future too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Latest Surface Go gossip from Windows Weekly:
    • There will be an ARM based Surface device announced on October 2
    • It will NOT be a Surface Pro or Surface Go device - a "new" design
    • Microsoft is splitting LTE support between ARM and Intel - no more LTE for you (if you are an Intel user)
    • And Leo chipped in that he has heard the exact same rumor of a split in the Apple camp - no LTE for Intel based Macs
    • What we are likely to see 10/2
      • Thurrott - he thinks Windows Lite and a dual screen device will be "revealed" but not "demonstrated"; as for the rest
      • "Refreshes" of Surface Pro, Surface Laptop, Surface Book (processors, memory, USB-C - no Thunderbolt)
      • AMD based Surface Laptop
      • Accessories (earbuds?)
    Just can't wait...

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Microsoft is splitting LTE support between ARM and Intel - no more LTE for you (if you are an Intel user)...>>

...Another consumer-friendly business decision!

<<...Just can't wait...>>

...I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic. Me, too...

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Jesus, HOW COULD THEY NOT MAKE THE GO AN ARM DEVICE WITH X55 5G MODEM? I will withhold judgment for now but I am preparing to be pissed off in October.:vbmad:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yes - a real yawn-fest on the horizon. You can only dangle “maybe next year” out there for so long.

+1

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.