Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just got a very brief physical look at the new Galaxy Book S. It looks like A LOT like the Surface Laptop just smaller and thinner. So much is that a distance you can't tell them apart.

The display looks....decent. The GB2 owners won't feel slighted, or for that matter are Go owners missing much.

It boots very quickly even from a cold start and wake and sleep for all intents and purposes is instant.

More to come, but over in the Samsung section

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does it even have a touchscreen? Won't be surprised if it doesn't? Stupid Samsung handicaps a good device and claims it doesn't sell well. There's no way the this device would sell better than the GB2 with the same internals.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It does have touch

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So let me get this straight: they already have pure notebook lines (eg. Notebook 7 13") that didn't sell as well as their hybrids, but they reason that if they strip out those hybrid features, it will sell even better! :D

Obviously Samsung execs are operating on a higher plane, because mere mortal logic will not suffice here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Tams, nnthemperor, dstrauss and 4 others like this.
  5. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Well I am back on board with the Surface Go. I tried a iPad Pro 9.7 with the pencil, which is nice device in a pinch, but I miss the Windows ecosystem. Looks like the time away Microsoft has improved the inking on the Go. I get the occasional fish hooks, but not as bad as previous. What an awesome size device... Fun setting it up...

Bronsky, djas and nnthemperor like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Welcome back. Did you go for the LTE version?

7. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Picked up a good used (non lte) 8gb/128gb bundle. Man such a great size device...

Bronsky likes this.
  8. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

I now a proud owner of a Surface Go 8gb/128gb/LTE :) It will replace my old Thinkpad 10 1st Gen.
    At all it seems to be a nice little device. So far I like it. At first I needed to to an update to 1903. I also switched to Windows 10 Pro.

Today I will unpack the Pen and the Typecover.... both in cobalt blue :thumbsup:

Does anyone also tried to use USB-C for charging? Are there advantages / disadvantages? My Dell Latitude 5175 power supply works without any problem. That is cool.

9. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

I've used USB-C for charging since January. I don't see any advantage for this with simple charging/power. In fact, I prefer using the magnetic Surface Connector if all I need is power.

My USB-C power/charging is done through a hub that also provides a video connection for a second monitor and USB-A for a Logitech mouse dongle. I originally used a Nektek USB-PD charger with a CableCreation hub. The hub proved unreliable and has been replace with a vastly better built hub from Cable Masters which also provide a second USB-C and an RJ-45 Ethernet connection, which I use. I still use the Nektek charger. I use USB-C power with this setup because I get everything with a single USB-C connection

ADDENDA: Bronsky followed this post with an additional advantage, which I totally agree with. I overlooked that advantage as I don't have any other devices that use USB-C charging. It's still a good point for those with appropriate devices.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow. You sure held onto that Thinkpad for a long time. The advantage of charging through the USB-c port is that you only have to carry one charger for your phone and Go if you have a phone that uses USB-c.

Dwig and nnthemperor like this.