Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for commenting on this. Any other thoughts after some more experience? Others?

Pen performance has always been the deal breaker for me on the SG. If it's been improved to the point where the fish hooks have stopped, I might consider it again.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sad to say, its still not quite where I'd want it to be. Even without the fishhooking and blotch problems.....there's a still a problem with the Pressure Curve....with every setting exact to my Pro 5....I still can't get the same kind of Brush quality....for art it still comes off as a subpar experience. I guess no amount of firmware updating can truly replace the improved performance given from the pixel sense accelerator chip in the Pro. And frankly I'm getting tired of even trying with the Go.

Going back a year, I bought the GO pretty much to use for a Month Long Euro Trip I went on. Ended up bringing both my Go and my Galaxy Book. Ended up not getting any art done, and used the Go almost exclusively. But I always like to have 2 devices...just to have a back up.

This year....in a few weeks I'm doing a month long trip to Asia and currently considering the devices I'm going to bring.

My iPad Mini 5 is definitely going......but I'm either going to take my Galaxy Book 10.6, Pro 5, or my Go. I can say almost certainly that despite the Go serving me well on last years trip.......I doubt I'll be bringing that this year. As much as I prefer the Go's small footprint....the Galaxy Book offers still significant better pen performance, better overall performance with Windows, has a more comfortable keyboard to type on, and has the convenience of being able to be charged by my Samsung USB-C chargers and battery packs that I use with my Note 8 phone. Last year I almost didn't even bring the Surface charger figuring the Go would be able to charge from my Samsung chargers (given the Book is more powerful then the go)....kind of glad I brought it...otherwise the Go would have been a brick.

Tams and alaskajoel like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Maybe because WOA is still a POS on current ARM chips - and they are all waiting for Microsoft to bless it with an 8cx/1000 Snapdragon Surface Pro 7...

Look at those specs...
    • 10.5 inch, 2560 x 1600 pixel Super AMOLED display
    • Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor
    • 6GB RAM + 128GB storage or 8GB RAM + 256GB storage
    • MicroSD card reader (up to 512GB)
    • Quad speakers tuned by AKG with Dolby Atmos sound
    • In-display fingerprint sensor
    • 13MP +5MP wide-angle rear camera with 4K/30fps video recording support
    • 2 microphones
    • 7,040 mAh battery
    • 15W fast charging
    • 802.11ac WiFi
    • Bluetooth 5.0
    • GPS + GLONASS
    • S-Pen
    • gray, blue, and rose color options
    • 9.6″ x 6.3″ x 0.22″
    • 15 ounces
    WHY couldn't/shouldn't 8gb/256gb deliver the the Windows iPad experience we all demand! The iPad Pro 11 is 9.74 inches (247.6 mm) x 7.02 inches (178.5 mm) x 0.23 inch (5.9 mm) Weight: 1.03 pounds (468 grams). THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Bishop and Bronsky like this.
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

With DeX and LoD, this fella will fly. I wonder if I should go for this (LTE version not announced yet?) and retire the Note 10.1 finally and use it as an extended display.

Attached Files:

Bronsky likes this.
  6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dex or no Dex, putting Android on this, is like dressing up a pig. If Samsung's really serious, they should have it out with windows 10.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

+1

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

I thought Samsung has Windows 10 TabletPCs in the market? What am I missing here?

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

+2

They do, but it is an anemic shadow of a Windows device (Galaxy Book 2). The Tab 6 is basically an ARM iPad that should be running WOA - there is no need for ANOTHER pure tablet play like the iPad Air - which also supports a pen and can run this one off the table with the App Store advantage, and the best mobile version of Office.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Supposedly the new S6 has an updated DEX. On the S4 it's a great idea, but the implementation is mediocre at best and 3rd party support is poor and in fact has gone backward in some cases.

OTOH The MS office apps work quite well with DEX