Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've noticed it most frequently in the edge browser but also in Acrobat. Chrome ironically seems to be immune.

I saw it speculated on one of MS forums that it may be related to the power management settings e.g. high performance versus better battery. I haven't had a chance to try that yet, because honestly other than being annoying, it hasn't affected us yet.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Is that two Go's or a Go and another device with 615 graphics - in other words is it a 615 problem?

3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Are there situations where the thinness/lightness of the Go over the SP6 are enough to tip the scale so that you actually start the task?

What I mean by that:

It may sound a bit silly, but at least when I compare my SP4 to my ipad air 2, there are a few barriers to starting a task for the SP4 compared to an ipad:

SP4:
    - a bit heavier, don't feel like picking it up
    - boot up time
    - can't just leave it on sleep mode because will drain a lot of battery even in sleep mode
    - seems a bit easy to accidentally turn the device on, I'm not sure if the camera needs to be disabled or something to prevent this

I'm hoping a SG2 would deal w/ all of these but maybe that is not realistic

Basically, I assume the SG does have advantages over a heavier 12 inch tablet. There must be some situations where that smallness/lightness for those 2 inches is enough to tip the scale to use the tablet when you otherwise would not have. What are those situations for you?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    WillAdams and batty like this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I have a One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 2S that also uses the 615...I think it is a driver issue with the new architecture that Intel is using for the drivers.

I don't on an ARM-based tablet of any kind currently..the Go is my tablet. Of course, my laptop is smaller than my Go :)

But your reasoning is exactly why I chose the Go as my primary device.

5. paprikaleapt

The things holding me back from getting a Go right now are
    1, Processing speed

-> Even my SP4 i5 has some problems with one of my uses, which is using onenote pages with lots of pictures in them- the pictures blank out/don't load for a bit. This happens pretty often if there are a lot of pictures and usually happens when panning or randomly while I'm writing, the latter which is disconcerting because an image I'm annotating will sometimes blank out under me.

Ex: for a class, we had a 40ish page pdf. I uploaded the pdf to the onenote page and then the above problem happened. Obviously I don't think a Go will catch up to a SP4 any time soon, but it still is a concern to me because I wonder if a Go won't be able to handle even more modest numbers of images on the onenote page.

Or maybe I insert a bunch of camera pictures from dropbox into a one note page- the same problem happens. SP4 can handle more moderate numbers of images though. I also don't know what spec is causing this. Not enough RAM? Or would be solved by having a GPU like an MX150?

I'm ok with my SP4 now despite this problem, but it does make me wary of more underpowered tablets.

2. Battery life
    I've heard it's somewhere between bad and acceptable for the SG. The problem would be somewhat mitigated by the numerous outlets in my school though.

3. Not knowing anything about the SG2 release date. If it comes out by fall of 2020 (over one year from now) it makes me feel like I'd want to wait for a SG2. Alternatively, maybe Microsoft has no plans to update the SG at all.

4. Not wanting to have too many LTE devices, I'm assuming the bills for the data plan would add up. And it sort of seems like an LTE ipad mini 5 would be a better choice for an LTE device because it's just really that grab and take anywhere kind of device that can fit in some pockets.

6. paprikaleapt

Wait actually so- what situations do you find yourself using the Go that you didn't with past surface tablets? Like SP3, SP4 etc.

Ex:
    I can use the SP4 on a bed or a couch - slightly begrudgingly though and against pillows propping it up while I slink back. I can somewhat use the SP4 while walking in halls, just casually going through to review my notes. These things are some things that I do that I would never have done with my thinkpad yoga gen1 because of weight.

7. jnjroach

I use the same type of workflow and I have seen that same symptom on OneNote across platforms. It usually renders eventually.

The battery life of the Go is nowhere near perfect, I usually get 4 to 5 hours on battery.

I'm hoping the SG2 is coming out this fall as a WOA device using the Snapdragon 8XC, if it does it should fix many of the issues.

I got the go because of its size and weight, a 12+ inch tablet feels too large to be truly mobile IMHO.

8. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

I also have a OMY 2S but haven’t seen this behavior in the screen, for the past 10 moths it has been my OneNote machine, until my recent iPad mini 5 arrived now it’s gathering dust

Vinny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. jnjroach

I've seen it with the last couple of DCH drivers - I'm on Insider Fast using H120 and the driver version is newer than the one on Intel's site, I wasn't seeing it prior to the April DCH update.

10. paprikaleapt

Whelp, RIP SG

Though jnjroach either didn't have this problem or doesn't mind it?