Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I use my One Mix Yoga 2S for some light gaming and my pocketable tablet that I take to some customer meetings. I also use it as my weekend couch surfer, cattle-class air travel machine. Inking on it is generally very poor, I don't ink on it often.

paprikaleapt likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I've asked myself the same question. Here's what I decided:

That form factor would be a total footprint size roughly equal to a 4 in. x 6 in. index card. Based on my note taking habits, I would spend too much time scrolling and zooming and wouldn't be able to see a regular size page of notes. I could only make the 7 inch size work if I designed a workflow with OneNote or Evernote like the Pile Of Index Cards System and have a larger device available for document creation.

10 in screen is my minimum for productivity.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

jnjroach, Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  4. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Were you to make a choice now without the one mix yoga 2s, would you choose the ipad mini 5 over it? I have heard that the ipad mini 5 can barely fit into some large pockets. I guess maybe one mix yoga makes sense if - have wifi everywhere and also need full windows for something

I can imagine the situation now- a customer meets jnjroach, he pulls out the one mix yoga, the conversation turns into one about the one mix yoga. They try to pull up something on the device, and it eventually loads.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Maybe this explains the absurdity of no LTE Surface Pro 6 - you have to go back to a two year old processor to get even a minimalist SP5 with 8gb/256gb. I just hope MS doesn't follow Samsung's footsteps in releasing an ARM based successor to the Galaxy Book 12 with an underpowered and underwhelming Galaxy Book2...

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is it really that absurd? The Pro 6 is literally just Microsoft buying time and keeping the Pro line relevant until the redesigned Pro 7 is ready (as it was from Pro 2 to 3) And given how popular LTE models are in the corporate/enterprise markets....that don’t typically update every product generation.....holding off LTE for the Pro 7 would be the smarter choice, since it’s more justifiable that someone with a 2+ year Pro 5 LTE would be more likely to upgrade to a Pro 7 LTE, a scenario that wouldn’t be as likely if they just got a Pro 6 LTE a few months prior.

7. dstrauss

The absurdity, my friend, is that LTE SHOULD have been released with the Surface Pro 6, not even a few months later. At this point you are right, a LTE SP6 would be dumb given we are probably less than 6 months from SP7. But mark my words, I still bet there won't be an Intel based SP7 LTE for months after release of the non-LTE models.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I still bet there won't be an Intel based SP7 LTE for months after release of the non-LTE models...>>

...That's something that's always annoyed me, too. What I've heard is that you have to obtain certification all over the country and that therefore takes time. Yet Apple does this and manages to release both LTE and non-LTE versions at the same time or in close succession (at least in recent times). But somehow Microsoft can't manage it...

Bronsky, darkmagistric and dellaster like this.
  9. dstrauss

I don't think the iPad has ever been released without WiFi and WiFi+cellular options. Granted, MS sees the Surface Pro more as an MacBook Air/Pro competitor but face facts, it is a tablet first and should support cellular out of the box. Besides, look at the obscene profits Apple makes form that universal $130 upgrade charge for cellular...

Bishop likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If the Go had been released in LTE configuration, I would own one. Just couldn't wait.

jnjroach likes this.