Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@paprikaleapt
    As far as I'm aware, not really. The OS pretty much restricts things like that in my experience.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

paprikaleapt likes this.
  2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

So...

1. SG pen is laggy? Bad experience?

2. SG battery life is bad?

3. And they won't make a new one this year because it's already selling well in corporate markets? I wonder why honestly- I guess they are plugged in all the time so battery is no issue?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No - it is more of a question of what is the alternative for under $600? They can buy these by the boxcar load; if one breaks cheap enough to just replace - and they just give field personnel car chargers...

Bishop likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly. In most of corporate $1000 seems to be the magic price point for a device. And for that $1000, companies can provide a device that provides good enough performance but gives the added bonus of mobility.

We have had multiple customers start switching out three year old desktops for the Go along with a dock, display, keyboard and mouse. The employees like it because they now they have a system they can easily take with them to a meeting or home without all the bulk, but still have a nice display and keyboard/mouse when they are at work.

Tams, thierryb, dstrauss and 4 others like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Still though, iirc the typical battery life is what, 5 hours? So no, it's not an all-day device, but charging it over lunch you can be out and about most of the work day.

Tams, nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I tend to use mine both two or three days before recharging. Granted it is in bursts of two to three hour writing sessions and I use it with a BT keyboard, not that a Type Cover would exhaust the battery. Usually recharge when I'm at 40%. Probably could go for one more writing session, but I'm afraid it will be an inspired one and that might deplete the battery faster than my limited creative juices.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same here, I find the pen totally enough for my needs, no compromises. Battery life though needs to be improved. Having said that, I'm never far away from a power source and I got a USB- PD adapter that's compact enough so I have one charger for my GN8 and SGo.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I use my SG all day - I get 4.5-6 hours of battery normally unless I'm doing a bunch of Teams Calls - that reduces my battery life by about 30-40%.

The pen is good for my note taking and marking up Word Documents and PDFs that my team creates.

Love the size and the weight - I would really love an ARM-based Surface Go 2 with LTE (5G maybe).

paprikaleapt and nnthemperor like this.
  10. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I got a tangent question- In practice how often and for what tasks do you usually end up using the one mix yoga?

Still somewhat related though. I'm wondering in practice if a thick 7 inch windows tablet with stylus ends up beating out a 10 inch stylus magnetic pen device in practice due to size / pocketability.