Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it was really annoying the whole thing with the Newton MessagePad --- it kills me that Apple still hasn't made a machine I want to buy since then (last thing I bought from them was OpenStep 4.2).

Still baffled that they didn't put Wacom Cintiqs front and center in their stores when Microsoft was making a big deal out of not being able to do touch on a Mac.

I'd give my interest in hell for a tablet with an active stylus running Mac OS X --- still kind of dreading the idea that if Microsoft doesn't undo their crippling of styluses as an 11th touch input by the time I need to replace my GB12 that the best system I can come up with would be a Mac Mini, Wacom Cintiq, and an iPad Pro running AstroPad Duet for when I want to be mobile.

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Probably because it would have detracted attention away from their own products or caused confusion among the general masses, I’m still amazed just how frequently people mistake my Mobile Studio Pro for an iPad. If apple had Cintiqs all front and center in their stores, almost certainly they would be mistaken as Apple products, or at least they would be assumed to be.

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It's almost as if the members here are pragmatic...

Snark aside, Apple now offers a very good tablet experience for pretty much all tablet users. With styluses being especially popular here, it's not really surprising that they're products are now being welcomed. Is it perfect? No. iOS is still a mobile OS, Apple's need for a walled garden, and oddities such as needing to charge the Apple Pencil fairly often are all downsides.

I think that's enough patting ourselves on the back though. Let's get back to tablet PCs, and specifically, the Surface GO, as this is the Surface GO thread after all.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I am hopeful they will make a Surface Go 2 with LTE within two years.

A bit better performance, a bit better battery life and it will be a cute little onenote device that has all my dropbox camera pictures on it --without me having to pay dropbox for offline camera picture availability like with the ipad.

I've jumped on the small, light, cute tablet bandwagon since I already have a surface book 2 15 inch.

Oddly, unrelated to that, without another big screen laptop I just end up always using the surface book 2 in laptop mode though I think if I ever got a second laptop I would gladly use the surface book 2 in its tablet glory all the time.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Have you ever used the 15" Clipboard alone - how long did yours last?

6. paprikaleapt

one hour ish battery life if that is what you meant

7. paprikaleapt

I've thought this a bit- since I'm just a notetaker, not an artist, I tried to list out the remaining advantages of having full windows on the surface go as opposed to just getting the ipad pro 11

stuff I care about as a student who already has a laptop related to full windows/ surface go
    1. Can print stuff more easily on SG than ipp11
    2. Dropbox camera uploads offline work without payment on full windows
    3. I'm assuming the snipping tool and pasting images into onenote fast on windows 10 is better/faster than ipad?
    4. Some niche situations where the kickstand is nice
    5. I'm assuming better keyboard on the surface go?
    6. misc stuff like my school has us install certain certificates requiring a full OS on the device to login to their website

versus

ipp11
    - better apps for biology related classes
    - better anki (flashcard ) app
    - lighter
    - better performance
    - better resolution (not sure this matters, both will have high ppi)

Probably if there ever comes a surface go 2 I'd get it in a heartbeat. I have a sneaking suspicion that a Surface Go 2 will not come out for a while, sadly. I mean- do we really think there will be a significantly better chip that is still able to hit the current SG price point?

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yes and no. Yes because working with a mouse on Windows makes the process feel smoother. No because the steps are pretty much the same. And then once you have your picture in an Office app manipulating it on iOS is actually easier as ling as we are talking basic maneuvers like moving it around, re-sizing and so on. But if you need detailed control the Windows is the way to go.
    I find myself doing the basic work on my iPad often and then eave the minutiae for when i open the file in Windows.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. paprikaleapt

windows 10's onenote clipping tool seems to autopaste into onenote where the cursor is and also has a text note of the website I pasted from - it's alright though sometimes I forgot where my cursor is. It is fewer steps than the generic Windows snipping tool though so on windows, I've been using onenote's clipping tool. It's pretty good though I often end up wanting to delete that automated text note

For ipad:

What you said last time
    "Take a screenshot, it will then appear as a thumbnail down in the left corner. Tap that and you are in a graphics editor where you can crop, annotate, change colors to your heart's content."

Evidently we do it like this:
    "Home + Power buttons at the same time, you can quickly capture a screenshot of your current iOS screen" https://www.cydiageeks.com/screenshot-portion-iphone-ipad-screen.html

What I'm trying to avoid is
    - being taken to an editor
    - having to manually tell them that I want the item in my clipboard
    - pipe dream: want to avoid having to right click and then paste

So then I can just jump into moving the images where I want

Is this possible for an ipad? Or maybe just some of this?

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm hoping the next SGo will be the one to perfect the device. More power, longer battery life, and lesser bezels. As well as PWAs coming of age and flying cars becoming a thing.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk