Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

o_O:eek::rolleyes::cool:

Of course our oil & gas title section stills sings the praises of WordPerfect - because many of their base opinions had their genesis nearly a half a century ago on Wang Word Processors...

Bronsky likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

OMG I remember them!:vbeek: They were used by the "word processing departments" of the big firms I interned with as a summer associate while in law school (the secretaries were using IBM Selectric Typewriters).

Bishop likes this.
  3. dstrauss

The "word processing department" was the exclusive domain of the high priestesses of computer-dom - long before we had even Osborne or IBM personal computers and ubiquitous word processing. As a lowly associate you had better bring offerings of copious desserts if you wanted any of your pleadings or briefs coming off the electronic marvels called "word processors". Otherwise your were relegated to the Selectric queens who had to RETYPE every page with a typo on it by hand!

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

IMO, the "Apple News Plus" is misnomered; it should be "Apple Magazines with format changes from issue to issue and NO NEWS to speak of (other than curated NYT.) For news junkies like me, If it doesn't have full NYT, or any Wash Post or WSJ it is not a news service at all. And aside from WSJ, which can command ridiculously high subscription fees and has no incentive to offer significant content on a service like Apple Plus - especially for the ridiculous 50/50 revenue split - there are plenty of services - including even Google News that, if you know how to set it up and use it, gives you free access to most important news content from US and world sources with at most a subscription to NYT and Wash Post - which can be had at all kinds of discounts for reasonable, app $10/mo fees - or even without as long as you can live with a rationed # of articles/mo (which I cannot.) What the Apple Plus product is can largely be summarized as: the old monthly periodical model with some updates in gorgeous pictorial splendor for a very cheap price whereby Apple monetizes it's 1.2 billion of installed devices by scalping publishers and making a killing on their end, purely a monopolist's fee for owning that installed base and such a paltry amount of revenue to the publishers that it's doubtful that the majority will be able to stay in business unless the volume will sustain a decent advertising model.

TL;DR - A lazy, low effort, weak design/IU by Apple to capture a nice revenue stream at 100% margin. I don't begrudge it to them (yes, "I am a capitalist!" lol,) just wish they would take an infinitesimal sum of capital from their standpoint and actually make it an excellent service and one which really caters to more than the most uninvolved readers of news, commentary and long form journalism. Among those unique competences Apple possesses, content is not one of them, and it never ceases to amaze me that they have proven they have no idea what to do with their $150 B-b-billion in cash except buy back stock and make extremely modest investments in product development and acquisitions. As a career-long business executive and investor, I see Apple as a company that invented and maintained surprising leads/monopolies on two product classes - smartphones and tablets - 12 and 10 years ago respectively, and have done the bare minimum they could do to expand on their hardware dominance (though arguably they had no need to) and have taken over a decade to seriously reckon with the fact that the days of growing the company on two products has come to an end and to do what any excellent business would have put in place years ago - growing services on top of its installed base - and are now doing it in the most lame fashion imaginable. Yet, again, the phenomenal pull of their ecosystem and the abject failures of Google, Microsoft and Amazon to challenge them in hardware allows them to do the easiest, low budget initiatives and look like heroes and geniuses because that base is so huge that even meager take-rates will make up for all the lost revenue in hardware and no one on the street will ever be able to figure out how far and fast the hardware base may fall because they no longer report any lines of business revenues or profits.

A critical but, IMO, not unreasonably so, evaluation of the announcement that underwhelmed the world, almost as much as the companion "Netflix of Games" and original video content that is currently comprised of a couple of stars on the stage with zero commits for any programming that anyone clamors for or expects to eclipse - or even compete with - Netflix or Amazon. Shame on you, Oprah, others!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Is it perfect? No
    Is it harder to use than Texture in some ways? Yes
    Is it Apple only? Of course (but maybe Android someday)
    Am I getting stuck in AppleWorld? Yes, even more so than before.

But where else do I get even more magazines than I had as a Texture subscriber, for the same price ($9.99/month) for me and five family members?

I am happy :):oops::cool:

PS - where else do I get nearly flawless (actually best of class) Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Kindle (although I hate the lack of in app purchasing), and iTunes experiences? Yes, I am becoming a consumption snob and very much enjoying note taking on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5...

Now, if I can just find a good used MacBook Pro 15 circa 2015...:confused:o_O:eek:...anybody know how to use Parallels Desktop????

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And isn't that what matters? All the big tech companies and their ecosystems are flawed and hate-able, if one wants to be partisan. Choose your poison and enjoy, I say! Life's too short to hold grudges and prejudices that only serve to limit one's choices.

--written by a poor soul who escaped Apple's Happy Garden (thrice!) and will soon get sucked back in. :p:D

jvloyola and darkmagistric like this.
  7. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Meh, it's easy to be a critic. What's not easy is creating a service that: appeals to uninformed masses as well as news junkies; provides both breadth and depth of content from all the major news publications; balances publishers desire for user data with users desire for privacy; scales across platforms and device types; and does all of this while being affordable for consumers yet profitable for the platform and the publishers. Not to excuse Apple entirely, but if someone could do all of the above they would have done it by now.

dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  8. dstrauss

Maybe since I started the RANT CITY MOC thread, I should be charged with starting the "JUST BE HAPPY" thread as well - how's that for being schizophrenic?

UPDATE: Well, I did it...JUST BE HAPPY

My attachment point to the AHC (Apple Happy Garden) has really only been the iPhone. I've owned a couple of different Apple Watches, and they are fine (like the additional info they display and notifications) but no big deal. The loss of Texture on Windows got me seriously looking at iPad's again, and now I'm doubling down on Apple News +. I picked up an iPad Mini 5 for my wife (her iPad Mini 2 is so long in the tooth) so I'll steal it to check on readability and note taking, but I think I'm good with the "ancient" iPP 10.5.

It's the sideways glances I've given an old MacBook Pro 2015 that has me really nervous...:confused:o_O:eek:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  9. lovelaptops

I hear you, but a few thought points:

1) It doesn't come close to appealing to news junkies. That's just a pure fail - at least for now.
    2) This will not be very hard for the likes of Google to replicate. But without the tablet installed base, they probably won't bother. Again, Apple can win by being lazy because Google and MS were so lazy for a decade creating even 5% market share in tablets. A "win" by default (in terms of the content product, especially when they heralded it as the "second coming" deserves no accolades. It's only marginally better than what's out there because there's virtually nothing out there. Arguably, Google News, MS News and Flipboard are 75% as good (better for hard news) and none of them are even trying.
    3) Fwiw, it's not very "easy [being] a critic, at leat not on TPCR anymore, which is fast becoming a sister Apple Fanboy forum the likes of Macrumours.

At the risk of repeating myself:

"My, how the mighty have fallen."

PS: I'm only critiquing the recent 3 fails in content, which is why I didn't quote @dstrauss comment here.

PPS: In case no one has noticed, I have great contempt for monopolies, particularly when they bring modest innovations every 3-4 years but remain dominant, precisely because they are monopolies.

PPPS: My only hope for this industry segment is for Amazon to recognize the gaping opportunity hole left by MS, Google and Samsung. If Bezos eyes significant profits (and Apple's $50 billion annually would seem target rich) he is the only CEO who could martial development resources, make hardware acquisitions and cut content deals and truly give Apple a run for their money w/in 5 yrs. I do not think their paltry hardware offerings reflect an inability to figure out how to compete at the high end, merely a strategic decision to pluck very low hanging fruit from which to monetize his base. It's just a pipe dream for now, but Amazon is the only company which appears to have the brains, balls and determination to take advantage of his competitors' laziness.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

Nothing wrong with wanting to be happy, especially after all the s--t you've been dealt by every Windows product you've tried in 3 years! I just don't think of TPCR as the forum to express glee that you've recognized the lesser of evils to be your only choice. The tech press writ large has had a decidedly "meh" take on all of Apples recent hdwe and content announcements. TPCR has fallen in love.

nnthemperor likes this.