Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes this could expose the one major weakness in WOA besides variable performance.

ARM devices in general perform well with anything that's on the motherboard, but any external device is pretty much hobbled. The USB and SD card speeds are less than half what they on a comparable intel platform. The one outlier is of course Apple. The storage in the latest iphones approaches NVME ssd speeds.

2. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

re: Ink\Pen Issues
    I just got back the replacement Surface Go (now on my third one) from Microsoft exchange. I immediately took it out of S Mode and then upgraded to Pro, updated to the latest Windows update and also the latest SG firmware updates.

I must say the inking is way better on this device. I can actually use the SP5 Stylus. I still get the jitter and fish hooks, but way less than previously. Huge improvement for me. Very happy.

IMG_5360.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    dstrauss, batty and nnthemperor like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

PS - I HATE people with such neat handwriting...

hiramkey, nnthemperor and bloodycape like this.
  4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Ha! Neat? I feel it is sloppy. :)

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If you think that is sloppy you must be one heck of a task master then...:p:cool:

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The print quality and the number of hooks looks similar to what I am experiencing on my Go. Although it's less than perfect (perfect is what it should be:newpalm:) I can live with it.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It shouldn't be perfect.....what it should be is fully equivalent to the rest of the Surface Line, Book 2, Pro 6, Studio 2, that is where the Go falls considerably short. If the Go's pen performance even equaled my Pro 5, I would be a much happier camper.

cmergel likes this.
  8. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

If I remember correctly the GO is missing a dedicated chip for the digitizer that is present in the rest of the surface line so performance will always be worse on the digitizer side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yep. It was a stupid place for MS to decide to "cheap out."

Tams, jvloyola, WillAdams and 5 others like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thats probably the biggest part of it.....but the Go's Pen performance is honestly even worse then the Pro 3 era pen tech (which became the default MPP tech everyone else gets).....and the Pro 3 (& 4) didn't have that chip either....and while I personally thought the Pro 3 was crummy for Art....it was better then the Go. Part of the problem I think is the Pen's themselves. That chip...the Pixel Sense Accelerator specially works best with the Pro 5 pen versus the Pro 3 & 4 pen. You can see that night at day just by the hovering speed changes when you swap pens on a Pro 5 (or 6). However...the Pro 3/4 & Wacom Ink Pen....which worked great on my Pro 3.....work like crap on my Pro 5 & Go.....mostly because of the IAF is now way higher since the Pro 5 & up are designed for the new pen which has a lower IAF. I think when whoever at Microsoft choose to omit that "Performance" enhancing Chip for the pen....they probably were blithely unaware how overall important that chip was....like they probably assumed it would be base downgrade to Pro 3/4 levels....of performance ....not realizing that chip not only improved performance but also stabilized the pen performance for the Pro 5 standard of IAF and Pressure Sensativitiy. So removing that chip.....coupled with the Go being designed for the Pro 5 pen standard....and the low powered Pentium core....and probably only "testing" the Go with Note Takers... = The Go's current pen. That's really the only rational excuses I can think of to explain the Go's rather disastrous pen performance. (For Art anyway)

.....now that I think about it....Microsoft did release a Cheaper "Classroom" Surface Pen.....that from the dual side buttons, and Pen nib style.....were far more in line with the Pro 3/MPP pen standard. I would actually be very curious just how well that Pen ends up working on the GO....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    jvloyola likes this.