Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I remember buying a special edition of a book on kindle for the bonus interview only to find out that the bonus features won't work on the W10 and had to download the x86 app. I did and that app told me I have to update to the new version to get the video to work, but there was no newer version. So, I tried on my android phone only to find out I can't watch there either. Turns out to watch the bonus content I either need a Fire tablet or iPad(iPhone was not mentioned). Needless to say I called amazon to complain and told me they can refunded the book price. I was like no, I rather have the video working. So I just swapped it to the regular kindle version(wanted to author to still get my money). I dunno what amazon is doing, but their app situation is kind of a mess.

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

FYI, I thought I got a great deal at B&H for $299 on a 32K model (trying to emulate Bronsky - don't need more storage for this use case and it adds $75 - the price of a used Pencil).

But wait, now it's on sale at Amazon for $249!! (Again, 9.7" A10 non-laminated, non-True Color, 1080p, *only* A10 (so, like, about as powerful as a 6th-7th gen i5??). FYI, this thing is lightning fast, best mobile app ecosystem, feather light, screen still stunning and very little glare despite lack of Pro upgrades, and you get IOS updates like, for life! I mean, seriously folks, this is such a useful device, well worth the price just as a document reader/annotator but, as the ad-men say, "it's so much more!!!!" For me, it's an opportunity to have an IOS device to interact with my family/friends that are i-slaves, may even be worth the price just to be able to send animojis! (Think I'm kidding? Have you created/received any recently? Or don't you enjoy laughing :):p:p:p:D:D With a decent case and eBay priced pencil ($55) and tax (B&H doesn't charge it;)) we're talking $340 for perhaps the best value I've ever obtained in a tech device - ever! (And I am a lifetime A-hater!)

So, yeah, go for it @dstrauss . Though it will cost you much more as you no doubt will opt for the 128GB, LTE version. Still, if you can live without typing - mostly - gotta be a superb second device, especially given it's best non-Windows Office 365 app capabilities.

Last thing. Wanna laugh? I called B&H to ask for a price match. I had already received my $299 model from them. They kept me on hold for 15 minutes as their "price match team" mulled over what to do. Finally, the rep came back on (you can't talk to the "price match team") with their verdict: "$299 is the lowest price we can offer for this product!" So, RMA back to B&H so they can re-sell it used for, what, $200? Just couldn't bring themselves to discount it further, even if it cost them more not to! o_O

dstrauss likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I bought a portable 3.2K 15.6 " monitor for $299 - fits into my backpack weighs just over 1 pound :)

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wow! Brand, vendor? There's something I never knew I needed but at that price I surely do! Oh, also, battery life?

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

What this tells me is that the 2019 iPad and iPad Mini must be getting close to release (2-3 weeks?) as those are CRAZY LOW prices - $329 for 128gb 9.7" - that's pretty incredible - AND the lack of price drop on Pencil 1 gives me more hope that they will continue to use the #1 Pencil on the 2019 models of non-Pro iPads.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. dstrauss

The Surface Go has been a real trooper these last six days, so much so that I have quit looking at the HP order page to see what is the latest snag in production. Not a good omen for the acceptance/testing of the Elite X2...:rolleyes:

The overall performance of the SGo with the productivity software I run has been just as good, if not better, than the HP Spectre Folio - the fact the SGo is 1/3 the weight of the Folio is a big plus as well. Even Google Chrome is as good on the SGo as the Folio, and not really that far off the performance of Edge.

At this point it is the poor performance of iTunes, and absence of a dedicated Texture app (which all PC users suffer), that are its weak points. Even then it is not enough to make or break a decision on the SGo.

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Or drive sales of their own Kindle readers and Fire tablets. If I'm being honest, I would bet the audience of people who need/prefer a Windows Kindle app is just insignificant compared to the number of people accessing Kindle through Amazon's own hardware, or iOS or Android. I'm an infrequent e-book reader myself; if the web version just allowed downloading I would probably be fine with it. Maybe in a year or two we'll see a more capable PWA version; I think that is the only hope for Windows diehards.

9. dstrauss

Sorry, but PWA brings flashbacks of iPhone 1 and web apps - connectivity may be faster today, but still a losing proposition.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know, the new breed of PWA's like Twitter and Hulu are pretty darn good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk