Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks Jeff. Amazing how difficult this is. Are we looking at intentional blocking of Amazon product by Microsoft? If not, are we looking at Amazon intentionally making it hard for Windows users to access their Kindle content? (Would they really shoot themselves in the foot in this way?) And if none of the above are correct, Why is it so hard to access Kindle via Windows?????

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks so much - I missed the one time password - I have my Kindle app back - PERFECT. Thanks again Jeff.

jnjroach likes this.
  3. dstrauss

I'll give my two cents - Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, and Google are in a cloud/content war, and fight with one another on many different fronts:
    • Apple refuses to back down on in-app purchases, which is what Kindle is all about, so you get a great iOS app but the constant headache of searching the Amazon Kindle Book store in a browser then manually downloading content.
    • Amazon, Google, and Microsoft are all at war in cloud storage and management solutions (iCloud just flat sucks so I don't count it). So none of them are doing any favors for the other.
    • Google is just fixated on world domination, so the only people they do favors for is Apple BECAUSE they pay Apple billions to be the search page.
    • They ALL want a big part of the online content war, and there they run into the carriers, Netflix, Hulu, and network streaming services. Object of the game is to block as much of your opponents content while selling your own.
    • Apple pulled Texture from Windows - the BEST magazine service; maybe they give us a lame version when they launch their new news service, just like we get a buggy iTunes.
    • It's just like being caught between Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint - you don't like their rules, find another carrier (RIGHT)

Chris_Kez likes this.
  4. dstrauss

iTunes update - it still sucks on the Surface Go, even after all the 1809 updates. It is unwatchable when streaming, and just bearable if you download the movie to your hard drive.

Netflix - it is just awesome - as good as any system I have used it - obviously Mr Cook your programmers are not better than your predecessor - UNLESS this is an intentional slap to push more iPad orders.

Amazon Prime Streaming - on Chrome not too bad; seems a little lower quality but still usable.

5. djas

djas Graffiti User

Netflix is also excellent on WM10 via Continuum on Edge and on W10 you'll get PiP even via the Store app.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Amazon removed there UWP App from the store and points people to the 10 year old Win32 version or the Web version...what business decision it is based on? I'm not privy to that...

7. dstrauss

You have to wonder what business decision there could possibly be. Inconvenience your customers; reduce sales; drive up sales of iPads? Surely they can afford software development...

8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It doesn't send the one-time pw to mine. Is this automatic?

Sent from mTalk

9. dstrauss

It was automatic on mine, I just missed it the first time. Second time I tried I'd say it took less than 10 minutes BUT you only get 10 minutes after it arrives to log in, or you have to try again.

10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

The app has been "deprecated" as far as MS and Amazon is concerned. I suspect what's occurring with the fail-get a special code-authenticate again process, is that Amazon is temporarily turning off part of the security handshake with a special code to activate the app.

Salesforce did that awhile back.

I'm curious about how this works in the long run. One of our guys has hundreds of books and he has said that a handful aren't displaying properly (odd formatting etc. ) in the app.