Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

Will be fun to see what kind of light gaming can be had. Especially compared to the Surface 3.

2. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Tom's Hardware couldn't just wait a few more hours until the embargo was lifted? Kind of a d--k move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am almost sold on this, but the lack of a usb-a has me a bit hesitant, as does the slightly smaller display. I really wish they have kept it in 10.6-10.8in range, but made the bezel smaller.

JoeS likes this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not available until August 2. And, LTE unavailable until later in the fall.

6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. Chris_Kez

I've read four of these so far and each is missing some bit of information covered in another. Not one has the full, complete and correct information. Amazing. I guess Microsoft doesn't provide a detailed spec list of each model?

8. Chris_Kez

Part of Microsoft's big Soon To Be Connected PC initiative.

Bronsky likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Loving this new Surface Go. Go Gadget Go! :)

Fun trivia from the video: The Surface Go is the first Surface device ever to offer an NFC (or near field) sensor.

I am also glad Windows Hello is still along for the ride. All in all, this is a solid win. I will also take the stereotypical Microsoft fan opinion side and out on a limb to say that I actually favor the bezels. I think it is the happy medium between the huge bezels of the retro Dell Venue and the like and the sometimes too thin bezels of the iPad when a thumb or finger strays too far in the hand grasping it. In other words, the Go's bezels are meant for real work and are not iToy bezels.

A paraphrased transcript is available here:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/surface/2018/07/10/behind-the-design-meet-the-new-surface-go/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    JoeS and dellaster like this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Emulation is quite good and the Go will give the overpriced GPD Win 2 the trouncing it long deserved. For example, for once, the ever popular Dolphin emulator will finally work A-OK on the non-Pro Surface. Whereas the Surface 3's Atom feebly choked and was just 5-10 fps shy of full speed 60 fps emulation at 1X native resolution, the Go's Intel HD Graphics 615 is surprisingly far more capable. In these videos below on just HD Graphics 610, a user is easily able to crank out 2X native resolution without it ever lagging or letting up. Now with the Surface Go entering the market, the GPD Win 2 at $699.99 is a hard sell and I personally predict that it will probably dwindle in popularity:

EDIT: Here is some clarifying perspective on the Surface Go's graphics with reference to its Pro ancestry:
    Source:
    https://www.wired.com/story/surface-go-microsofts-big-bet-on-a-tiny-computer-future/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Marty and MacrosTheBlack007 like this.