Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

D'Oh! Typo. That post is from 2004.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I was in the first group of MS “Tablet PC MVPs” in the 2003 timeframe.

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for the insights @desertlap . I'm not sure if I feel enlightened or depressed! My expectations were biased by the way the SP line has evolved. Inside the same box, with the same screen and all external hardware, you can go from a 4GB/128GB m3 all the way to a 16GB/1TB/i7-8650. If the Go is maxxed out for internal space, and thus cannot handle any increase in heat nor accommodate a larger battery (something I'd sooner sacrifice than be stuck at this performance level), then I'm afraid they blew it on the form factor. I don't know how much larger (in cc's) the shell needs to be to handle more heat, perhaps a bit bigger battery, but my entirely uninformed, unscientific brain says it could stand to be, oh, 25% of the way between the current SG and and the SP without increasing the weight or size of the base model out of contention for the compactness full Windows convertible it owns now (I have no idea, but perhaps we're talking a small, 0,5" - 0.75" bump to screen size, most of the added cc's coming from depth) and then you should be able to upgrade to a Y-class cpu, perhaps a 35% increase in battery density, a $150 max increase to the BOM and, voila, you've satisfied one customer: me! Now, I'm sure you and your colleagues could make that happen, @desertlap , in time for a June, 2019 release, eh?

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't seen the wonderful trip down memory lane that was initiated a couple of posts ago. By all means, it must be sustained - one of you veterans care to open a new thread: "TPCR Memory Lane?" I've only been around these parts since 2009 (first tablet: HP TM2), so I'll just need to be a spectator.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Toshiba Satellite R15 was my first machine. The painfully slow Pentium M let down the Wacom EMR inside but my next machine, R25 was leagues better. 13 years went by too quick...

Tams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

From yours and @desertlap's comments, I'd suggest the SG ver.1 is only stopgap, and ver.2 is going to be Snapdragon all the way - better performance, better thermals, better battery, better LTE - and hopefully SMALLER bezels. Remember the introductory YouTube video by the MS engineer's explanation - why Intel - because MS wanted no software compromise - meaning the then available 835 and 32bit emulation was definitely not ready for prime time...

Tams, nnthemperor, Bishop and 2 others like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Excellent points, my friend!

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's exactly my take on this thing too, and the reason I'm reluctant to spend on a brand new LTE SG. I'm pretty sure the next iteration is going to be WOS and I hope to be ready. But they've got to reduce those bezels and they'll be in business with me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. djas

djas Graffiti User

WOS is a big draw for me. I live in S Mode and spent my workdays in Office 365 & web portals. As I travel frequently & always on the go, the battery life is an advantage. Like @Bronsky I am a 2-devices person. Right now I'm on Note 5 & Surface 3 with Samsung Flow being the glue.
    Come Feb 19, it will be Note 9 & Galaxy Book2.

I, too, thinks the next Go models will be WOA-(WOS) based. It is inevitable as clearly the current Go is meant as an WOS. SD 850 is just not ready for power-users as most are in this forums.

However, the Galaxy Book2 (with SD850) is right up my alley. Anything is a step up from the Atom-based Surface 3.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think it's likely too. One of our partners told us that they had been hinted at by MS to expect a WOS based surface device in the first part of 2019. Though it might not be the go but a new device possibly.

djas likes this.
  10. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I passed on the SG LTE to replace my S3 LTE and purchased the Book2; its my first try at 10S. Similar usage to you as I use Office 365 web portal as well as other web based sites for work for the majority of the day; also using the Note 9.
    The Book2 didn't get good reviews for the most part as being a compromise device with too little RAM and too slow. I was reluctant to even try it. MS Store has a 60 day return policy for the holidays so I thought perfect time to see if it works for me. Although I'm not getting 20 hours of battery life the Book2 is a perfect fit. It's plenty fast even with 5-7 tabs open in Edge all the time. I get about 12 hours of battery compared to 4 hours with my SP5. This has replaced my S3 LTE and I haven't needed the SP5 with me in the field since I picked up the Book2. I'd usually bring the SP5 when I needed to do PC work for the larger screen.
    The only complaint is the device is locked to AT&T and so far, it's been impossible to get them to unlock it. Now they're telling me I have to wait 14 days from the purchase date to get it unlocked. This has been my first non-Surface device since the SP2 and I generally upgrade with each new version. I also looked at Android tablets like the Tab S4.

JoeS, Marty and djas like this.