Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Best of luck on your decision.

I wanted to share a Frasier episode, Door Jam, that I think illustrates the dilemma.

The setup is that Frasier gets a piece of mail from his neighbor. He and Niles can't tell what it is for, but they know it is for something "exclusive". When they visit the address, they figure out it is a spa. They impersonate Frasier's neighbor and gain admittance to the spa. They love it.

Unfortunately, as they are checking out, they realize that they are only at the "Silver Level" and they see someone else get into the "Gold Level". Now they are dissatisfied and try to find a way to get to the Gold Level. Roz (Frasier's producer) knows someone and gets them into the Gold Level. And you can guess what happens next...

...they are happy... until... they see another door. Frasier makes a very wise comment about always trying to get to the next level...

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That 4415Y... Just how bad is Intel's 14nm yields that lower bin of dual core U/Y CPU ends up being cheaper than Gemini Lake based Celeron or Pentium Silver chips? I ask this bc the 4415Y scores less than something like N4100 and certainly N5000, even in single thread scores!

Anyone here miffed that their new Surface Go is weaker than some $250 laptop with N4100 Celeron?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    lovelaptops likes this.
  3. Mike1111

Mike1111 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am testing several rugged tablets and a Surface go this week for packaging with a database software package of mine and in testing the Go 4415Y versus an N4200, the Go CPU is faster in real life. An example running a processor intensive task in my database; Go 2m 1s, N4200 tablet 2m 20s, i7-6500U 1m 38s. The GPU test is a little different, a test redrawing a complex map in GIS software; Go 2.0s, N4200 tablet 1.7s, i7-6500U 1.2s, but the N4200 tablet is a 7 inch 1280x800 pixel display so the slower Go graphics is likely related to more pixels.

dstrauss, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  4. Shogmaster

Is the N4200 device using eMMC or SSD? I ask bc database test sounds like it might leverage storage situation.

JoeS likes this.
  5. Mike1111

The DT372AP tablet I am testing with the N4200 CPU has a 256 SSD, Samsung NVMe PCIe SSD. Both have 8 GB ram so are configured similarly. I read specs on 4415Y vs N4200 and walked away thinking the N4200 should be faster, but then read real benchmarks where the 4415Y showed better performance. My testing does show the 4415Y performs better. I know these are different devices and other things do impact performance other than CPU, but they are very similarly configured and the 4415Y Go does well compared to the N4200.

Shogmaster likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I definitely feel you on your analysis about the majority of us qualifying as power users and the industry's perspective of the devices only having to be *enough* this is the whole ethos of Microsoft moving to Ntrig/MPP IMHO...MPP works well enough, and the average consumer who hasn't experienced anything else will be satisfied with the experience.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

In fairness, that $250 laptop is all-plastic, heavy, probably has no touch screen, certainly not penabled, doesn't come with W10 Pro, etc. What rightfully should miff people is that MS is stupid/careless/lazy/thoughtless or otherwise greedy enough (though, if pricing is accurate, they are not making more money using the PG vs the N4100/5000) to push out an inferior product, why, because they can! It's almost as if they are sadistic and get their jollies watching customers scoop up a product that's worse than it has to be just because they've gotten their mfg costs low enough to produce a truly awesome small form factor convertible, would gladly pay up a little for an m-class cpu - and a bigger battery - but not only does MS scoff at such an idea of delighting their customers, they don't even optimize the design within the budget they've callously constrained an otherwise truly ground-breaking "product of the year" design.

I go back to, Why? Which leads me to: sadistic/stupid/lazy....etc...."Because they can!":confused::(:mad:

batty likes this.
  8. Mike1111

Another performance test I ran in my software was opening my most complex data entry form, 4415Y Surface Go 11.09s, N4200 tablet 15.64s, i7 6500U tablet 7.81s. All 3 tablets have 256 SSD drives and 8 GB Ram.

Also if anyone is interested my battery test on the Surface Go, designed for field users, returned 7h 18m estimated battery life after 6h 30 minutes of testing. Power and display were set to never turn off, display was at 75% brightness (outside readable), WiFi, Bluetooth and LTE were turned off (I only get the LTE version for the GPS), GPS was turned on and a GIS software actively tracking on a topo map base, my database software was open and I was doing a little work in it, and BatteryMon was running. This is the same or better than my testing years ago with the Surface 3 which got between 6h and 7.5h in multiple tests.

lovelaptops and dceggert like this.
  9. Shogmaster

MS's top line MPP devices is metric ton better than NTrig use to be, that's for sure...

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. Shogmaster

It's both good and bad IMO. It's good in that the Surface brand is now good enough to do things like that and get away with it.
    It's bad in that the Surface brand is now good enough to do things like that and get away with it...