Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

In fairness, that $250 laptop is all-plastic, heavy, probably has no touch screen, certainly not penabled, doesn't come with W10 Pro, etc. What rightfully should miff people is that MS is stupid/careless/lazy/thoughtless or otherwise greedy enough (though, if pricing is accurate, they are not making more money using the PG vs the N4100/5000) to push out an inferior product, why, because they can! It's almost as if they are sadistic and get their jollies watching customers scoop up a product that's worse than it has to be just because they've gotten their mfg costs low enough to produce a truly awesome small form factor convertible, would gladly pay up a little for an m-class cpu - and a bigger battery - but not only does MS scoff at such an idea of delighting their customers, they don't even optimize the design within the budget they've callously constrained an otherwise truly ground-breaking "product of the year" design.

I go back to, Why? Which leads me to: sadistic/stupid/lazy....etc...."Because they can!":confused::(:mad:

batty likes this.
  2. Mike1111

Mike1111 Pen Pal - Newbie

Another performance test I ran in my software was opening my most complex data entry form, 4415Y Surface Go 11.09s, N4200 tablet 15.64s, i7 6500U tablet 7.81s. All 3 tablets have 256 SSD drives and 8 GB Ram.

Also if anyone is interested my battery test on the Surface Go, designed for field users, returned 7h 18m estimated battery life after 6h 30 minutes of testing. Power and display were set to never turn off, display was at 75% brightness (outside readable), WiFi, Bluetooth and LTE were turned off (I only get the LTE version for the GPS), GPS was turned on and a GIS software actively tracking on a topo map base, my database software was open and I was doing a little work in it, and BatteryMon was running. This is the same or better than my testing years ago with the Surface 3 which got between 6h and 7.5h in multiple tests.

lovelaptops and dceggert like this.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

MS's top line MPP devices is metric ton better than NTrig use to be, that's for sure...

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's both good and bad IMO. It's good in that the Surface brand is now good enough to do things like that and get away with it.
    It's bad in that the Surface brand is now good enough to do things like that and get away with it...

5. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe N4200 is last gen and significantly slower than n5000, and may be even slower than n4100. I've been wondering why no one has put out a really good design with the latest atom CPUs which seem a much better deal than the Pentium gold. Intel ark says the Pentium gold and Pentium silver cost the same, while the Celeron is about $60 cheaper. All the n5000 and n4100 devices are thick heavy laptops with bad screens instead of small thin tablets. One exception is the Lenovo tablet.

My theory for why MS went with Pentium Gold is because of the bad rap of atom. This frustrates me to no end. If you look at a lot of the online reviews, when they review an atom product, they always conclude that it is not good enough, even if it handles most tasks. They will limit atom devices to browsing and streaming. Now that surface go has core based CPU they try to do more with it and give it a better review in terms of performance, even though the numbers say the latest atom devices are just as good if not better. So, atom gets an unfairly bad rap, they get thrown into devices with TN panels and optical drives that weigh 5 pounds, and then we get Pentium gold in surface go that is just not a great choice in terms of price/performance.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok so I'm probably going to across as an MS apologist (though those that have read some of my rants could point to other things I've said bashing them), but I don think there is a conspiracy or MS "cheaping out" on the go.

Engineering anything, especially something as complex as a tablet is balancing act between performance/physics and user experience.

That being said, the go designers I suspect may have prioritized the decisions towards the best handheld tablet experience , more so than the pro line.

Thus they made it, thinner, lighter, smaller with what is arguably the best display in a windows based well under $1k tablet. Making it fanless was another choice that makes it more pleasant to use as handheld device.

I thought I remember reading that MS worked closely with Intel on this device and that was part of what led to the processor choice. The thing that most may not take into consideration is that in a device like the go, the processor probably isn't used just stock. MS may be putting speed and/or thermal constraints on it to cut power consumption and heat. eg. the same processor might not run the same way in another manufactures clamshell device.

These design tradeoffs seem to be made in other ways too, I.E the fact that for consumer they pair EMMC storage with 4GB RAM versus an SSD with the 8GB configuration. I'm sure that was done to hit the price point of $399 whereas putting an SSD would have probably made it cost $449. The engineering trade off being that with 4GB RAM, the performance constraint is more likely to be RAM when the user puts the machine under a load and thus faster storage has a less tangible benefit.

I've seen because we have unfortunately broken a couple of them, that the display and related hardware takes up a disproportionate amount of the total volume of the go. Which then constrains the size of the battery if they didn't want to make the device thicker/heavier, which could limit the performance of the processor if they didn't want to reduce battery life even more.

My $.02

lovelaptops, JoeS, Steve S and 2 others like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@desertlap - "Engineering anything, especially something as complex as a tablet is balancing act between performance/physics and user experience."

[​IMG]

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bronsky, JoeS, batty and 3 others like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Off-topic, but is it almost time for a 15th anniversary of this forum, or did we miss it already? A quick look shows a post from February 2004, but there might even be older ones.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Eh, isn't that less than five years ago?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk