Surface Go

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Tourniquet, Jul 9, 2018.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Dang...does this mean I need to unfollow you on eBay now? LOL...good luck!

I do wonder how that brand new 2018 model Thinkpad 10 compares though...no kickstand and all...hmmmm. Blahahahahha.....

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I really envy you! *Dream Job* :p

3. Dwig

Dwig Pen Pal - Newbie

Calibre is my key ebook application. Like the classic Swiss Army Knife, it is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades (and master of none, well only a few). I've been using it on my old Dell Venue 8 Pro (8" full Windows 10 tablet) and on my main desktop Win10 box. I've retired the DV8p and moved calibre, along with my main library, to my new Go. Calibre is the best tool for library management and format conversion. In truth, it is a small suite of applications that also includes an excellent ePub and AZW3 editor along with a decent ereader.

Recommendations:
    • Join MobleRead.com. This is an excellent ebook orientated forum and is the main support community for calibre, but forum policy prevents detailed discussion of how to remove DRM (Digital Rights Management).
    • Get calibre directly from their own site at https://calibre-ebook.com/ (Linux users should generally avoid the always outdated version that is part of their Linus distro and get calibre from the source).
    • Track down Apprentice Alf's website for a very good suite of DRM removal tools and instructions. One part of Alf's package is a plugin for calibre that can make DRM removal transparent.
    • Check out both Freda (and Freda+) and Book Bazaar Reader in the Store. They are both decent ebook readers with UI designed for a touch-based tablet. I'm always switching preference between these two and my older Kindle device. My current preference is a tie between Freda and my Kindle. Calibre's ebook reader is good and can read just about any format, current and antique, but isn't as functional in a touch only environment as Freda and BBR. Reading apps/devices are a very personal choice.
    Back on topic (more or less): I'm really liking my Go. I'm still tweaking things and slowly adapting to its larger size (its a replacement for an 8" tablet, as I've said). It still find TouchMousePointer a handy tool. I still can't decide which browser I favor. On the Dell, IE was the clear winner. I'm currently experimenting with my desktop preference, Firefox, along with Vivaldi and Opera. I'll let Edge stay on the shelf until they follow Opera and Vivaldi in their move to using a Chromnium/Blink derived renderer.

Chris_Kez, WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, It's both a blessing and a curse. Seeing all the new shiny stuff doesn't seem to curb my desire to acquire it:p

JoeS likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

;):D

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

@dstrauss have you thought of getting one of those usb-c battery banks to attach to your Go, that way instead of half a day of battery life you can get 3/4th of a day battery life?

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nope. The charger is lighter than any battery bank.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you would indulge in a bit of speculation here...Is there a sort of "race" going on between OEMs to carve out the corporate sector in an anticipated, new WOA-driven era?

More specifically, was Samsung's switch of Galaxy Book line to ARM part of a larger strategy to be competitive in an anticipated new enterprise market for WOA PCs?

It seems to me like there is a lot of movement going on behind-the-scenes with regards to Windows tablet development, that's hidden from the consumer side. Whereas the past 5 years of Windows PCs seemed more focused on creative professionals and "prosumers", it seems now all the buzz is centered on Enterprise WOA...

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sure, but I want to emphasize that this is speculation on my part.

I have made reference before to the idea of "good enough performance". I think it applies to things like the surface go as well as the Galaxy Book 2 and Lenovos WOS devices. They run almost all typical everyday software such as office quite well.

So if your CIO accepts the concept of good enough then it drives the decision in two different directions based on employee/company needs

1. Mobility- These WOS devices get absolutely incredible battery life easily lasting a full business day or two. This would for example be beneficial to a mobile sales force that's out in the field all day. And if they need/want LTE these come baked in and come with only a minimal hit to battery life. Or even with workers that stay in the office all day but are moving from meeting to meeting and so forth (like me) being able to just tote the device all day is a big productivity gain.

2. Cost- I've also made reference to the "magic price point" of $1000. We are already seeing that drive purchase of things like a Surface Go instead of a conventional desktop. This gives the employee a desktop experience at work (with keyboard, mouse, display) but with the option of a take home or take to meeting device when they need it.

As a corollary to that, I think the price of the WOS devices will come down quickly. The ones out now are essentially first gen devices and I've already seen the Lenovo in the $600 range for large purchases

Security is the other unheralded benefit of ARM based windows. It's built from the ground up to be more secure primarily because it dumps a lot of the legacy software/hardware support that is the entry port for so much malware etc. In fact there's options to remove even the X86 emulation and force app purchases through the store. And MS will even let select enterprise shops have "custom stores" where things like internal use apps are available.

My, $.02 for today :)

PS: An important qualifier to all this is that most here on these forums are in the "power user/influencer category" myself included so things that we care about like raw performance are simply not priorities for the rest of the world.

For instance our two department admins had their desktops replaced with surface gos, dock, monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. and they couldn't be happier. One takes her computer home with her each night and the other takes his to all his meetings to take notes instead of his former pen and paper

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Tams, DRTigerlilly and djas like this.
  10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A Surface Go arrived today. By the end of the day I'd sold it to a colleague. Not for me, far too small, as I already have an ipad pro (1st gen) 9.7" and a Surface Pro. Just didn't seem to 'fit'. I liked the keyboard but the smaller keys didn't do much for me. Nice device though.

Bronsky likes this.